Need Help finishing main page

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by izzo, May 9, 2009.

1. izzo macrumors member

Its to plain to me and I cant figure out how to layout the top banner, any suggestions on the overall main page, I just included a picture of the main page, the picture of the house is a flash image that fades in and out to other houses.

Attached Files:

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

I would change the text for the navigation to a more plain serif font (times new romans -ish) then perhaps add some gradients to the header and/or top of the content area.

perhaps for the header you can try working in a photo of a house or something.

You just need to try to avoid making it look too cluttered.

Also, add some padding to the top of the content area.

:apple:

3. izzo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much, the gradient is already making it look a lot better. When you say padding, you mean giving it space between the content and top banner?

4. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

With the addition of Me1000's comments, I'd move the house photos under the certified green professional logo and move this logo up. There's a lot of dead space, which can sometimes be nice, but here I think is distracting. I'd then move the body text up to the right of these (rough example attached). This will reduce the line length of the text making it more legible and less hard work to read and get rid of some of the 'dead space'.

Also, the background of the certified green professional logo seems a slightly different colour from the page background and is also slightly distracting.

Attached Files:

5. izzo thread starter macrumors member

Awesome! Thanks mate, I couldn't figure out how to position that stuff and was thinking of moving the text up next to it. Thanks again guys!

6. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Glad to be useful!

Depending on how important the certified green professional logo is, you could put it beneath the house images, or make it smaller and reposition somewhere... :)

7. izzo thread starter macrumors member

Ok here is the updated version of it, any other suggestions? I cant figure out how to incorporate a house into the top banner without making it look awkward and I also feel that its to simple, any suggestions on that?

Also I forgot to fix the certified green logo background. I will do that.

Attached Files:

8. izzo thread starter macrumors member

ok changed the logo around on the flash image and than also edited the green certificate background to match

Attached Files:

9. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I'd give a little space between your text and the edges of the border and images. p {margin-left:20px; margin-right:20px; } in your CSS for example. You had a nice margin on your original image that seems to of gone now.

10. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

One thing that kind of bothers me, though it doesn't pertain to your design...

In your head it says "Established since 1976" I would remove the word "since" because I tend to think of the word established as a one time use verb.

Just sounds weird to me.

:apple: