Need help fixing the Finder issue. PB1 > DP6

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Thomi2, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Thomi2 macrumors newbie

Hey guys ! :cool: Today I'm glad to share with you the solution I found for the Finder issue if you upgraded to DP6 from PB1.

Remember, a blank window appeared when you were desperately trying to open the finder, and nothing was happening when you were trying to open a .dmg file. Well, everything related to the Finder was not working.

Why ? You're coming from the Public Beta 1 and want to install Developer Preview 6. Apple releases Delta Packages Update to make the upgrade easier.
    By installing DP6, you're missing DP3, DP4, DP5 Delta Packages Update.

To fix the Finder issue, the only solution was to restore a fully copy of Yosemite by going to Recovery Partition. YOU WILL LOST all of your data and you'll be back to PB1.
    So now, if you want to keep all of your data, while fixing the Finder, I found this solution by myself.

Disclaimer : I AM NOT responsible if something went wrong during the procedure.
    I've had the blank Finder window, found this solution, and successfully recovered my Finder without loosing any files. But I can't say this procedure is risk free.

If you wish to continue, please stop doing any activities, be patient, listen to zen music if that works for you, but do not miss any steps.

Still want to get your Finder back with all your files into it, left unchanged ? Then, let's get started.

Prerequisites : You will need to have Parallels Desktop (any version) installed, with a working (configured) virtual machine before continuing.
    If you don't have Parallels Desktop installed, which I totally understand, please scroll down this thread. There's another section specially for you guys.

SOLUTION #1 (Parallels Desktop only)

Situation : You are running OS X Yosemite PB1, wanted to have the latest functionalities, so installed DP6 over PB1. And you have this blank window when launching the Finder.
    You'll need to restart your computer at STEP 5. Please use another computer if you don't want to miss a step.

STEP 1 - First of all, download the OSXUpd10.10DP5.pkg / You can find it by searching on Google. (This is the OS X Yosemite DP5 Delta Update Package).

STEP 2 - Once downloaded, you should have a folder named DP5 (the name doesn't really count). If located in the download folder, try taking it from the Dock, in the Download Tab. (Finder is unavailable so you won't be able to reach Download folder from the Finder.) And try to past it to the Desktop.

-> If you can't, let the .pkg file in Download, the process will basically be the same.

STEP 3 - Now, launch Parallels Desktop from the Launchpad. Find your virtual machine. (It's better if it runs Windows).
    (We'll say it's a Windows virtual machine).

You are now on your virtualized Windows Desktop.
    You should see the PSF folder (only for Parallels). This is the Parallels Shared Folder. Open it, and you will see all the files of your Mac. We can say it's the working Finder on Windows.
    Open either Desktop folder or Download folder. (Depend on where your OSXUpd10.10DP5.pkg is located). Find it, open the folder, the second .zip folder, and you'll finally see your OSXUpd10.10DP5.pkg
    Now, if you were in full screen, exit this mode. You should now see your minimized virtual machine window and the Desktop of your Mac.
    Just drag and drop the extracted OSXUpd10.10DP5.pkg into your Mac.

AT THIS TIME, Windows have done what your broken Finder couldn't do.
    You should have the extracted OSXUpd10.10DP5.pkg into the Desktop of your Mac.

STEP 4 - Open the extracted OSXUpd10.10DP5.pkg / You'll see the Setup Wizard.
    Specify Macintosh HD (or your Hard Drive if you have chosen another name); as the installation target.
    Now just let the program working and complete all the operations. It can take 10 or 20 minutes.

Now, either the setup wizard says the installation is complete, OR the setup wizard is blocked/freezes on the Updating registered components.
    If no freezes happens, close all of your apps and restart the computer.

If it's blocked on Updating registered components, don't worry. Remember that we're kind of trying to downgrade DP6 to DP5 just to get the Finder fixed. (it's not a downgrade, you won't lost your data).
    If that happen, force quit the installation program.
    If the status bar (clock, date & time, battery spotlight search) suddenly disappear, once again don't worry, it's because you have installed DP5 over DP6.

Now, the only solution is too use the POWER button of your mac to force the shut down. As your Finder is still unavailable, you won't be able to restart manually.

Once your mac is shut down, take a break. 1, 2, 5, 10 minutes. The time you'll need. Your Mac also needs to have a break after we forced the shut down.

STEP 5 - Restart your Mac.
    On the startup Apple logo, it's highly possible that your Mac restart several times. You're not in a boot loop, your Mac is just performing operations.
    Arrived the login screen, then enter your password if you got one.

You're finally back into your Mac Desktop and the Finder should be back too !

Attention, during that first boot, your Mac can appear slower than normal, that's normal, let it the time to complete all of the operations, and try to open the Finder.
    You should have a working Finder with all your files, at the same place, left unchanged ! All your apps must be working, and you should recover access to your Hard Drive, and open .dmg files !

I hope that worked for you ! I hope I was understandable as well, I'll try to improve my english anyways. :cool:

SOLUTION #2 - Scrolled down to see the solution without Parallels Desktop ? Let's get started.
    You'll need to restart your Mac at STEP 6. Please use another computer if you don't want to miss a step.

Disclaimer : I AM NOT responsible if something went wrong during the procedure.
    I've had the blank Finder window, found this solution, and successfully recovered my Finder without loosing any files. But I can't say this procedure is risk free.

Situation : You are running OS X Yosemite PB1, wanted to have the latest functionalities, so installed DP6 over PB1. And you have this blank window when launching the Finder.

STEP 1 - First of all, download the OSXUpd10.10DP5.pkg / You can find it by searching on Google. (This is the OS X Yosemite DP5 Delta Update Package).
    You have to download it from another computer running Windows. Or another Mac.

STEP 2 - Once downloaded, extract it from your Windows PC or Mac to obtain the OSXUpd10.10DP5.pkg file.

STEP 3 - Find a service like Google Drive or Dropbox where you can sent file over 1 Go. Use this service to send the OSXUpd10.10DP5.pkg (not the folder !).

STEP 4 - Go into your Mac (the one who needs the Finder to be fixed). Open Safari and go to the web interface of Google Drive or Dropbox or any other similar services.
    Get your file, and download it into your Mac. The file directory should be directly onto your Desktop.
    Now you should have your extracted OSXUpd10.10DP5.pkg onto your Desktop.

STEP 5 - Open the extracted OSXUpd10.10DP5.pkg / You'll see the Setup Wizard.
    Specify Macintosh HD (or your Hard Drive if you have chosen another name); as the installation target.
    Now just let the program working and complete all the operations. It can take 10 or 20 minutes.
    Now, either the setup wizard says the installation is complete, OR the setup wizard is blocked/freezes on the Updating registered components.
    If no freezes happens, close all of your apps and restart the computer.

If it's blocked on Updating registered components, don't worry. Remember that we're kind of trying to downgrade DP6 to DP5 just to get the Finder fixed. (it's not a downgrade, you won't lost your data).
    If that happen, force quit the installation program.
    If the status bar (clock, date & time, battery spotlight search) suddenly disappear, once again don't worry, it's because you have installed DP5 over DP6.

Now, the only solution is too use the POWER button of your mac to force the shut down. As your Finder is still unavailable, you won't be able to restart manually.

Once your mac is shut down, take a break. 1, 2, 5, 10 minutes. The time you'll need. Your Mac also needs to have a break after we forced the shut down.

STEP 6 - Restart your Mac.
    On the startup Apple logo, it's highly possible that your Mac restart several times. You're not in a boot loop, your Mac is just performing operations.
    Arrived the login screen, then enter your password if you got one.

You're finally back into your Mac Desktop and the Finder should be back too !

Attention, during that first boot, your Mac can appear slower than normal, that's normal, let it the time to complete all of the operations, and try to open the Finder.
    You should have a working Finder with all your files, at the same place, left unchanged ! All your apps must be working, and you should recover access to your Hard Drive, and open .dmg files !

Once again, I hope I was understandable and I will try to improve my english to make it even better.

I hope this worked for you. Have a good day ! :cool:

2. cs02rm0 macrumors member

I downgraded to DP5 and it wouldn't boot. Held CMD+R at boot and chose the option to reinstall OSX.

10 hours later it reset the countdown and froze during the install and I did a hard reset, finding a working DP5 install to my surprise, which I've since been able to upgrade to DP6.