Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
If the budget allows, I would recommend a photographer get a Retina MBP to have a computer that should last at least through Apple Care (3), and have the resources (CPU, memory, internal storage) to capture photos in the field, do post processing (Aperture or LR, CS6, Nik or other plugins..etc.), and connect to large external large long-term storage.

I got the maxed out rMBP for me (had my for almost a week) and the wife (we pick hers up tomorrow). These become our new desktops...and interwork so very well with Time Capsule, iPad, iPhone...etc.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I can attest that a SSD will NOT benefit your wife much. Yes, it will speed up access times. It will make the programs read files faster. However, most edits one makes in Lightroom and Photoshop are stored in the RAM, not the SSD. Which means the benefits of the SSD will only be present when she opens up a program, which isn't even a significant portion of time spent when working.
I have to strongly disagree with this: putting in an SSD was probably the most significant upgrade I've done to my workflow within the last 5 years. The library on my SSD is significantly more responsive, because loading images to RAM is a lot, lot faster.

@OP
- I would also second the suggestion to think about a mobile Mac in conjunction with a decent external monitor. Not knowing what kind of Dell monitor it is, I am pretty sure a good Eizo or Nec monitor will outclass it. (I gave my Eizo monitor to my brother when I moved abroad and it put his Dell monitor to shame.)
- Putting in 16 GB RAM is a good idea.
- If you want to get a Mac mini or you want to decide between a 13" and 15" MacBook Pro, keep in mind that Lightroom can actually put 4 cores to good use. Don't worry about a discrete GPU, Adobe's software suite (apart from the video editing applications) do not benefit from a beefy GPU.
- If you want to get an SSD, have a look at Intel's new 330 series: great value and reliability.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I have to strongly disagree with this: putting in an SSD was probably the most significant upgrade I've done to my workflow within the last 5 years. The library on my SSD is significantly more responsive, because loading images to RAM is a lot, lot faster.

@OP
- I would also second the suggestion to think about a mobile Mac in conjunction with a decent external monitor. Not knowing what kind of Dell monitor it is, I am pretty sure a good Eizo or Nec monitor will outclass it. (I gave my Eizo monitor to my brother when I moved abroad and it put his Dell monitor to shame.)
- Putting in 16 GB RAM is a good idea.
- If you want to get a Mac mini or you want to decide between a 13" and 15" MacBook Pro, keep in mind that Lightroom can actually put 4 cores to good use. Don't worry about a discrete GPU, Adobe's software suite (apart from the video editing applications) do not benefit from a beefy GPU.
- If you want to get an SSD, have a look at Intel's new 330 series: great value and reliability.

I use OWC SSD. I find they work extremely well, avoid TRIM problems and amazing when striped. I will agree however, that back ups are absolutely important. It was an oversight not to mention this and my error.

The Mac Mini Server is a quad 2.0 and I can take the benefit of all 4 cores.

I think someone switching to Mac might do well with an iMac 21" maxed out and a good "photo work" 2nd monitor. The 21" has plenty of power if you go with the i7 quad and you can certainly max the RAM easily. For me the Mac Mini server works well. As for SSD outside the Mini - one good route is to get a 3rd party enclosure that is eSATA and then Seagate's Tbolt adaptor. There are enclosures that take SSD or 2.5 laptop drives and stripe them. These connect via eSATA, Firewire 800/400 etc.

Again - just an opinion based on what works okay for me. I'll never be a Windows fan but I can sure list as well my frustrations with Apple : ) Having grown up with DOS, Windows, OS/2, Unix/Linux, more Windows and then to intel based Macs it was a no brainer. I'll stay in the Mac arena for now with Win and Linux virtuals running as needed.

calguy

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
San Franciso Bay Area
I use OWC SSD. I find they work extremely well, avoid TRIM problems and amazing when striped. I will agree however, that back ups are absolutely important. It was an oversight not to mention this and my error.

Every professional has different workflow styles that fits their specific needs. I have been changing my digital gear as the need arises for processing and storage. Getting more storage space is essential even if you cull out the bad shots. I shoot with a Nikon D4 & my older D2h which still works very well. I import my photos and keep the originals,(jpg & raw) on separate drives from my Aperture Libraries.

I then use Aperture to import the images separately or use the File Import to keep the file structure [ Aperture will create this structure for you into projects with the sub-folders and albums with referenced images]. The main reason I do it this way with referenced files with Aperture is for safety of the originals. I can backup the originals ( outside of Aperture ) with duplicate drives. I can also backup the Aperture Libraries separately ( different Library for each type of shooting to keep each with a reasonable size ). I can make my adjustments which don't change the original referenced files. This also takes place if your originals are in Aperture or iPhoto ( non-destructive changes ). I could export those file versions that are adjusted and make new originals as needed & still keep the 1st generation or delete them.

As a side note for Aperture, I am using 3.2.4 still and not 3.3. Visually, I like the GUI color variations and not the monotone look of 3.3, especially with the inspector view for Projects, Folders, and Albums. It easier to quicker see which is which with the colors and my workflow is faster. I also like the highlight/shadow control more with the older version since I can limit the tonal range with a slider as I can with Photoshop without needing to go there. The new version eliminates this and assumes their control over tonal rage is better with you just adjusting the intensity. A warning though, if you upgrade to 3.3, make sure you backup your 3.2.4 libraries and keep those in storage ( good for just sequential safety, too ) When you upgrade, the libraries are also updated and can NOT be used with 3.2.4 any more. The same goes with the iPhoto libraries if you are using them. Because A 3.3 can now show your iPhoto libs within Aperture, they too must be updated along with the upgrades to iPhoto versions. Backward compatibility is lost here.

I can take my MacBook Pro ( mid 2010 ) with me using Aperture and import onto it when I am away from home. I take an external 2.5" drive to duplicate the images. At home, the MBPro was used for a long time( an older 2006 MBP ) with an external Mac 23" display ( matte screen - I've tried the glossy and it changes the look of the photos and what has been said above, lacks the control I need for overall colors ) I haven't upgraded to an Eizo display yet but that will be my next big change.

I went with a Mac Pro with a 6-core 3.33GHz GPU & 24GB memory over a year and half ago. In the long run, I knew I would use this for a long time and I can easily make changes to it as needed. I still have a Mac G4 desktop from 10 years ago that is working great with 10.4.11. If I got an iMac, I would be ok in the short term but limited with the display and would have to spend more eventually. A Mac Mini would have limits right as the beginning with only a 500GB drive. I have recently added a PCI express SSD card with 240GB that is my boot drive and an extra 480GB SSD in the extra optical drive slot for my Aperture Libraries. It is very fast because it uses the internal speed. The SSDs are purchased from OWC - great reputation and Lloyd's [see link below] test's have shown them to be very reliable. My original 4 internal drives are 2TB each. I used RAID to combine those into 2-4TB drives for photos. I use eSATA for fast transfers to external backup drives since the Mac Pro does not have Thunderbolt yet. The rumors with a couple of noteworthy Apple mentions, there is a good chance that a new Mac Pro might coming out in mid to late 2013 from what I have read on this site and others.

To keep this simpler without me explaining my reasoning, this is one place I go for serious research: http://macperformanceguide.com/
There is great information about gear and software from Lloyd Chambers who does a lot of testing of Macs and OS. He displays and explains the results from a technical and practical standpoint. There is so much information you may need to use the tab at the top to go to the index. Many of my decisions are helped by him. You can make more informed choices at any level of shooting or digital photo work.

Have fun & keep it as simple and as safe as you can for workflow and backups. :)

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
You don't nearly benefit as much from striping SSDs as from striping traditional hard drives in most usage scenarios: striping doesn't improve access times, quite the contrary, it slightly reduces them (since the cpu has to wait until all devices in the RAID0 are ready to read or write data). And reduced access times is the major benefit of SSDs compared to spinning-platter hard drives.

The reason why people were using scratch disks was to have a volume where (slow) accesses to parts of the disk are independent from the system and data disk. This is no longer necessary with SSDs.
The Mac Mini Server is a quad 2.0 and I can take the benefit of all 4 cores.

I think someone switching to Mac might do well with an iMac 21" maxed out and a good "photo work" 2nd monitor.
That's also a good option: I love multi monitor setups, they're addictive :) :D

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Last night I did my first Lightroom import and processing session on the rMBP. Sweet! I imported several hundred raw files, applied presets, kicked in a few Nik plugins, and then moved the set to my main LR library on an external RAID 1 set, which left the SSD ready for another field trip.

I would highly recommend a maxed out rMBP for any photographer.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Just to add my tuppence, I work on imacs for digital imaging at work every day and their screens are atrocious.

Mac mini if cost is a consideration, mac pro if you want something that will last for years.

Dont buy an apple screen, for the same amount of money there's much better screens on the market.

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
I went with a Mac Pro with a 6-core 3.33GHz GPU & 24GB memory over a year and half ago. )

I also went this route except with 48GB memory, it was more feasible to do so in the long run allowing for expansion since the majority of raw images I shoot exceed 70mb in size.

I started to play around with video and audio and the Mac Pro has far exceeded my expectations vs having to listen to a fan with my MBP.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I also went this route except with 48GB memory, it was more feasible to do so in the long run allowing for expansion since the majority of raw images I shoot exceed 70mb in size.

I started to play around with video and audio and the Mac Pro has far exceeded my expectations vs having to listen to a fan with my MBP.

Well I surely have envy here (grin). My ideal would be to get a Mac Pro (again) that is 6 core and 24-32 on the RAM. My last Mac Pro was an early quad 2.66 with the older PCI standard (1.2). It served me very well and I pretty much maxed it out.

I noticed that OWC is getting around to PCI slot SSD boards for the MP. A bit expensive now but amazing benchmarks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.