Need help for MBP transfer data to new SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xscapes, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Xscapes, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

Xscapes macrumors regular

I ordered a Crucial M4 SSD to upgrade, i have a problem to transfer my data and OS over.
    I'm thinking in this way:

-Install a clean Mac OS X Lion in the SSD, then plug the old HD to an external enclosure transfer all the data, application and OS file.
    (Can i access directly to the old HD from the external enclosure to move all the data i want to the new SSD?)

Please tell me the best way to transfer the data.

2. abdu2s macrumors newbie

Yes you can pretty much access all the data with an external enclosure (music, videos , songs, and some of the applications) not the OS data it self

i recommend that anyway. cause i think cloning brings unwanted data from the older HDD

3. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

4. Xscapes thread starter macrumors regular

You mean to have my new SSD plug with the external enclosure and use Time Machine backup everything from the current HD to the SSD, then install the SSD into the MBP?

5. MattiaC28 macrumors newbie

No, in order to use Time Machine you should have another external HD in which you make a backup of your current HD, then you swap you internal HD, launch with lion and simply choose "restore from Time Machine backup" and you have everything as it was before.

Apart from the upgrade of your HD it would be a good thing to keep a Time Machine backup of you mac, just in case...

6. blackranger3d macrumors newbie

We have a winner!!!!

:D

7. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Yeah just use time machine backup. This is why its good to back up your computer using an external HD. I actually did this last night when I received my new computer.

8. satchow macrumors 6502

Easiest way to go about doing this is putting your SSD in a USB enclosure. Use carbon copy cloner to copy everything from your HDD over to it, then simply swap drives. ezpz

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

do you install lion on the new internal first than restore from TM backup or does the lion boot disk have restore from TM in its menu?

----------

not if your HDD has more data on it than your SSD has space