Need help freeing space on my iphone 6

EricaV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
First let me say the things I have tried already. This iphone has 11.3 total gigs

1. Deleted text history- beautiful, it went from 2 g to 350 kb
2. Reduced photos, music and apps to no more than 5 g total

So- two problems I can't explain and need help with :
1. "documents and data" is still indicating that it is 4.3 gigs in size. I have NO documents stored on my phone or in any of my apps- even my dropbox only takes up 250kb. I assume My email folder is part of "docs and data) but my email shows only 1.8 gigs of this 4.3 docs and data allocation- What is taking up another 2 gigs ?

2. the elusive "other" is taking up 1.95 gigs. I have never known what "other" is, besides perhaps macs diligent effort to keep my phone full of unknown crap so that I am forced to constantly upgrade the phone and/or use icloud ( I will do neither).

Basically it seems that there is 4 gigs of unknown stuff taking up space- or some other glitch or illusion at play. I am willing to wipe this phone and re-build it but I would certainly rather just find a way to get rid of this apparent 4 gigs of BS. If anyone is ahead of me on this I would apreciate knowing what you did !

Any/all help appreciated !!

EricaV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Thank you ! I tried it with both "rent" and "buy". It worked just as described but it did not free up any space :-( Thanks for the tip.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
First let me say the things I have tried already. This iphone has 11.3 total gigs

1. Deleted text history- beautiful, it went from 2 g to 350 kb
2. Reduced photos, music and apps to no more than 5 g total

So- two problems I can't explain and need help with :
1. "documents and data" is still indicating that it is 4.3 gigs in size. I have NO documents stored on my phone or in any of my apps- even my dropbox only takes up 250kb. I assume My email folder is part of "docs and data) but my email shows only 1.8 gigs of this 4.3 docs and data allocation- What is taking up another 2 gigs ?

2. the elusive "other" is taking up 1.95 gigs. I have never known what "other" is, besides perhaps macs diligent effort to keep my phone full of unknown crap so that I am forced to constantly upgrade the phone and/or use icloud ( I will do neither).

Basically it seems that there is 4 gigs of unknown stuff taking up space- or some other glitch or illusion at play. I am willing to wipe this phone and re-build it but I would certainly rather just find a way to get rid of this apparent 4 gigs of BS. If anyone is ahead of me on this I would apreciate knowing what you did !

Any/all help appreciated !!
Might need to do a factory restore.

pippakay

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2009
Thank you ! I tried it with both "rent" and "buy". It worked just as described but it did not free up any space :-( Thanks for the tip.
bummer, sorry...got me an extra few gigs when i tried it. weird.
[doublepost=1476297747][/doublepost]
FYI, that works with ios9, but I don't believe it does with ios10.
ah, okay, thanks so much! will keep this in mind going forward.