Need help from a photoshop expert!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iluvifone, Sep 25, 2010.

1. iluvifone macrumors 6502

I installed Notifier from cydia, and i'm attempting to customize the "status bar" icons that my iphone will display, when I have:

-a missed call
    -unread mail
    -unread texts

I'm no pro, but I tried making a 17x17 PNG image with Photoshop Elements using pics I found on google, but they turned out ugly and pixelated on the Retina Display..

Anyone care to help?

Any nice and simple icon would do, such as the following:

missed call: http://www.pride-scotia.org/contact/phone.jpg
    email: http://www.ecu.edu/cs-lib/reference/images/email.gif
    text msg: http://www.globalrelay.com/images/icons/message.png

If you don't have time, could you please just explain how to go about creating such icons?

Thank you

2. strodda macrumors regular

Gimme a little bit and I'll see what I can do. Gotta finish unwinding from work, I'll hop on the computer in a few.

3. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Are you using WB, or planning on replacing the stock images? Because if I'm not mistaken, WB can't handle retina-sized status bar images because it lacks the @2x support.

4. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm interesting point. I initially downloaded Notifier alone, but i wasn't able to modify the status-bar icons, so i searched cydia and downloaded the WB extension "small standard notifier package", which allows you to customize the status-icons..

5. strodda macrumors regular

you can edit the png's yourself. just go to:

/private/var/stash/applications/reminder.app/

all the icons are in there. although the applications does not have any "@2x" icons, so i dont think itll make a difference to create some.

6. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

haha a little naive, but who can blame you? I thought the same thing earlier today.. changing those png's, or heck, erasing them, has absolutely no effect on the status-bar icons, no matter how many times you restart and respring.. you need to download the extension i mentioned above, which allows you to modify them through WB

7. strodda macrumors regular

yea, no luck. guess it was too easy to be true.

when i did it, i go the icon within the app to change, but not the notification, eventhough it was originally the exact same icon.

[​IMG]

8. strodda macrumors regular

i got it to work, but it doesnt accept "@2x" icons. so resizing to fit properly, and it still looks pixellated. better, but not up to retina standards.

location for sms icon is:

/system/library/coreservices/springboard.app/Default_NSMS.png

[​IMG]

9. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah sounds about right, changing the original icons will change the ones in the app itself', but not the statusbar.. if you delete them, it will remove the tab from the app, but again, no effect on the status bar..

and its interesting that you found the location of the PNG under coreservices.... when i installed the extension to override the PNG's, the defaults were located in

/private/var/stash/Themes.TxzDpG/Small Standard Notifier Icons.theme/Bundles/com.apple.springboard

but yeah, no matter what i did, it remained pixellated.. am i outta luck or is there some other way?

10. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Nope...this is what I was getting at. Some springboard icons cannot be modified without winterboard, i.e. replacing png's either isn't an option, or does nothing. And since winterboard doesn't work with @2x yet, they are constrained to a certain set of dimensions, and therefore doomed to be pixelated (a good example is the signal bars). We need a WB update bad...Saurik needs to get on it.

11. strodda macrumors regular

read my post two spots up... i DID change the status bar icon without winterboard... but when i renamed it and added the "@2x"... it didnt work.

12. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

To clarify, because it seems like everyone is all over the place in this thread...

Winterboard DOES support retina icons.

The problem you are having is that Notifier has not been updated to support retina icons. Try using lockinfo, it does support retina status icons.

13. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks, I'll give it a shot later and report back

14. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

15. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

16. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

Lionheart is correct, but be warned!
    you do need the beta but right now, the beta is a little broken. I need to install syslog and get the logs over to david.

heres whats happening with the latest beta.. there used to be a nasty delay while u were in the SMS app and were also getting a message at the same time... he fixed that. but the latest beta sort of broke the stock message alerts...

if you set up lock info properly, using the stock app you should turn off 3rd party support in LI setting. when you do this, lockinfo will mark all txts as read the instant they arrive. Meaning, you dont get ANY alerts about incoming messages. the fix is, to turn on 3rd party support even though your using the stock SMS app. this fixes the alerts, but re-introduces the delay...

the beta works, but its a little broken right now...

and yes he implemented the fully functioning silent icon :)

David is by far my favorite iphone Dev... hes very thorough and hes amazingly particular about his work.

17. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

So from what I understand, the status-bar notifications are only a new feature, that are upcoming soon, and currently only available in the beta, not in already released versions?

And I do not care for the silent icon, like the other user was asking in the other thread, just need the SMS, missed call/email icons.

18. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

you are 100% correct.

Lockinfo beta will give you status bar icons and a few bugs :)

lockinfo 'retail', does not have the status bar icons yet...

i paid for his retail version but i use the beta because of the status bar alerts

19. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

awesome, thank you!

20. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

Anyone know the location of LockInfos status bar icons???

21. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not exactly sure, but inside the actual lockinfo folder, there are a bunch of random PNG's, all of which seem to come out as blank-white images.. not sure what's going on there :S

22. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

I've noticed that as well...

Maybe I'll send the Dev a quick email/tweet.