Need help from experienced users.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sandstrom, Apr 17, 2010.

1. sandstrom macrumors member

Hi!

I'm about to convert from PC to Mac and I have placed this order on the 13th of April :D

2.53GHz Intel Core i5 :confused:
    8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRM - 2x4GB
    500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200
    SuperDrive 8X DL
    MBP 15"HR Antiglare WS Display

Now to the question. I do a lot of work in Photoshop and then some Illustrator and Indesign. I never play games or watch movies on the computer. No 3D or movie stuff. Should I try to change my order and go for the i7 just because of CS5.

I have read all threads I can find in this matter, but believe me I'm still confused. :confused:

Question 2. Is it possible to change an order as long as it's not shipped?

Your input is appreciated!

EDIT: The question is not about the CPU. I'm not sure if I would benefit from the extra VRAM (512)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Adobe apps benefit from RAM more than CPU, especially CS5 as it can utilize over 3GB of RAM, so yes, 2.53GHz will be fine, even 2.4GHz would be

2. Yes

3. sandstrom thread starter macrumors member

edit

Thanks, but what do you think about the extra VRAM you get with i7?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As you're not going to play games, it's pretty useless. Think about getting SSD if you really want to see some improvement, you can replace SuperDrive with SSD and use it as boot&app drive and Photoshop will open in two seconds!

5. mattrothcline macrumors newbie

Agreed.

You've made some great choices in your system config. If you want more speed in a couple years' time, the most effective upgrade you could get is an SSD. The hard disk drive is the slowest thing in a modern computer. It does you no good to get a faster CPU if the CPU is just going to wait for the disk. The 7200RPM disk is a good choice for now.

6. torpy macrumors regular

If I were you I'd downgrade to the 2.4Ghz one and get a SSD instead. You'd definitely see a large performance increase.

7. kasakka macrumors 68000

I'd probably drop the RAM down to 4 GB. I use Photoshop/Illustrator all day at work and rarely has there even been a need for more RAM.

Don't bother with the i7 either. For the price I don't think it makes for a significant improvement.

If you don't need a ******** of space, then you might want to use that saved money and get an Intel X25-M SSD. Alternatively you could ditch the optical drive and have a SSD and HDD in the same machine.

8. sandstrom thread starter macrumors member

SSD cost?

What would it cost to buy good SSD separately compared to Apple prices? Must say I'm a newbie and have no clue what to look for. :eek:

9. sandstrom thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

I appreciate your comments!

A couple of minutes ago my order changed status to shipped :D, so no changes for me.

Have a nice evening!