Need help from fellow Canadians tethering internet from iPhone to iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by jayhay, Apr 22, 2010.

1. jayhay macrumors member

So I upgraded to the 1gb data plan with Rogers to tether the internet from my iPhone to my iPad, and it is not working! I called Apple Canada, and believe it or not, the guy I was talking too told me to connect them using USB!! I guess they do not do their research....

Anyhoo, I have bluetooth enabled on both devices and tethering turned on for the iPhone, but they both stay in searching mode without seeing one another. Any ideas?? I know there are people in Canada doing this witout third party apps.

2. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Rogers doesn't even carry the iPad yet. And as far as I know there is no tethering option for the wifi iPad, though I could be wrong. Don't expect a lot from Rogers either, at the moment. We'll get it for sure, but until then they won't support it or really discuss it.

3. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

iPad won't tether to iPhone unless iPhone is jailbroken ... it's been covered many times here, search for more detailed info.

4. jayhay thread starter macrumors member

I know this is the case in the US, but I was sure that I had read posts from Canadians that were tethering from iPhone to iPad as tethering is an option in Canada. I spoke with a rep at Rogers and told her than I was upgrading only to tether from the iPhone to the iPad and she said it would work. Perhaps she gave the wrong info.

So I can tether from my iPhone to my MacBook, but not to my iPad?

5. Elzlaik macrumors regular

Unfortunately, yes.

6. nsorrelle macrumors member

They probably assumed that the iPad allowed for receiving a connection via bluetooth, which isn't the case.

7. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

OK, let me clarify...

Tethering from iPhone is officially support by Rogers on data plans 1GB and more. But it only works on devices that accept the iPhone tethering...

In other words, the problem is not your iPhone, it's the iPad. Mr. Job decided that Apple does not support tethering to the iPad. So you just can't do it, US or Canada, at least not in any way endorsed by Apple. Don't bother calling them for help on tethering to iPad.

The good news is, you can *sort of* do tethering between iPhone and iPad. The trick is to turn your iPhone into a router, broadcasting its 3G signal as wifi. The second step is simply connect your iPad to this iPhone "router" by selecting the SSID as if any other wifi networks.

Did I mention that you need to jailbreak your iPhone for this? Well, you do. No jailbreak, no tethering to iPad.

8. mhchan macrumors newbie

What silverblack said is right..... In order to use your iPhone's Data with your iPad, you will need to jailbreak the device and use MyWi program as described in ipadincanada.ca

http://www.ipadincanada.ca/tutorials/how-to-tether-your-iphone-data-plan-to-the-ipad/

The other option is to use a celluar router like the MyFi which rogers/bell sells or a Internet stick with a cradlepoint router which I have and works really well..

Otherwise, gotta use free wifi spots around town to stay connected...

9. nasa25 macrumors 65816

Ugh dude i went over this in your thread yesterday. You need yo jailbreak your phone (hopefully you are still on 3.1.2) and download mywi in cydia. You will need to add an iPhone repository (whose name escapes me now) to cydia or another option is to download mywi through rock and pay $9.99 for it.

Mywi turns your iPhone into a wifi hotspot that your iPad will recognize.

10. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

If you're going to jailbreak your phone, that's up to you. Just be aware of the risks, including warranty-related issues as outlined by Apple.

11. nasa25 macrumors 65816

If you need warranty service you could always do a firmware restore and undo the jailbreak.

12. berks macrumors newbie

iPhone 3gs tethering bell and iPad canada

Last week I finally gave up my blackberry for and iphone. So far so good. Moreover, in anticipation of my new iPad arrving on Friday I upgraded to a 3GB data and vocie plan @ $100/mos so that I could tether my iPhone to my iPad to avoid the extra $35/mos fee - all encouraged by the folks at the Bell store. The Bell iPhone even has a tethering function - easy easy easy. Everything seemed great.

Not.

iPad and iPhone will not pair in Bluetooth mode for tethering. Imagine....Stevey Jobs is much too smart...err...greedy for me. So my options now are to; 1) submit and buy the $35/mos ipad data plan - rogers or bell, or 2) a "jailbreak" my 3GS phone and use MyWi.

Has anyone tried option 2 yet with a "new" 3GS phone 3.1.2?

Other options? Suggestions?

13. The General macrumors 601

It doesn't matter what firmware you have on your iPhone, as long a MyWi works on it. Since there's no reason to keep 3.1.2 on your phone, you might as well upgrade to 3.1.3 with Pwnage, keeping your unlock-ability wi blackra1n.

Also, learn that no one who works in a store that sells things has any idea what they are talking about. Cell phone stores especially.

14. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

I'm currently running "option 2". I have a few opinions to state:

1) It works most of the time but sometimes (by sometimes i mean 3 out of 5 times) mywi crashes or becomes really annoying to use. The app needs alot of improvements before it can be called stable.

2) Battery life on the iphone goes down the drain. The iphone lasts 1.5-2 hours with mywi on and internet being used. So you will need to charge your phone many times during the day. this is due to two things in my opinion.
    a) Its constantly running on 3G therefore draining the battery.
    b) The mywi app is unstable and probably not written for maximum
    efficiency. Meaning the app can be improved and hopefully the battery
    life will improve.

3) It sometimes sucks to have to go on the iphone turn on mywi on then wait for it to connect and so on. Im used to my iphone constantly running without on/off delays. (This is not an BIG issue for me, I want points 1&2 to be resolved)

In conclusion, This option saves you 130 dollars of the base price of an iPad but comes with a few drawbacks, due to the app and the method used. I think making the app more stable (similar to how stable an apple app is) will make this option perfect. Also if they can improve battery life by requiring less power would definetely help.

Thank you
    AE