Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furryrabidbunny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Mesa, AZ
I have really bad shine splints again... wouldn't be too bad but I have a physical fitness test wednesday for my job. The test is participation only but I dont' want to be shown up by the old guys.

I could only pull a mile today before calling uncle and quitting. Does anyone have a quick fix (not looking for long term, just want to be able to do 1.5 miles wednesday in under 12 without pain).

Feverish Flux

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
Ice, ice and more ice along with anti-inflammatory meds (Advil, etc.).

Shin splints are usually an indicator of overtraining.

Try and get the swelling down by icing and you may be able to do what you want. The only really way to "cure" them is to ease off on the running. They sometimes take quite a while to heal.

Shaduu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2007
Southsea

Try and get the swelling down by icing and you may be able to do what you want. The only really way to "cure" them is to ease off on the running. They sometimes take quite a while to heal.

I can only repeat the need for ice on shin splints. For such a simple recovery tool it works wonders.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

good advice here. you might want to take an ice-bath instead of just putting ice on it. it works much better

Phat Elvis

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2005
Phila, PA
I agree with the ice.

To train (after your test) without stressing your legs try running in a pool. Buy a vest to float and then run in place. It's non-impact and you get the same workout - just not as good a view.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Sounds like you might need new shoes or to rethink how tightly you currently tie your shoes. Shin splints can sometimes be caused by poorly fitting shoes.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Sounds like you might need new shoes or to rethink how tightly you currently tie your shoes. Shin splints can sometimes be caused by poorly fitting shoes.

that is true, but i don't think he would have them as bad as he's describing from just old shoes or tightly tied shoes. he might be pronating also

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Ice, shoes, rest are all good suggestions to check out. You also may need to check your running form that you're not leaning forward or are too much up on your toes with your foot plant. If you're talking a 8 min. mile, that's certainly not too demanding of a pace, but form is important, regardless.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
that is true, but i don't think he would have them as bad as he's describing from just old shoes or tightly tied shoes. he might be pronating also

No, I think the Jew is right. I had to stop running for months because I switched away from New Balance and bought a pair of Nikes. I got shin splints, didn't know what caused, and spent months figuring it out. Was it my form? Oh yes, it must be my form. Wrong!. I took 2 months off running, began running again for 3 weeks, and my shin started hurting again. Then I bought a new pair of New Balance, and everything was fine. :)

Now I have a knee problem, and I haven't run in 4 months. I stopped running, then bought new shoes with a bit more padding, and thought it would work out. It did for around 2 weeks, and my knee still hurts. I couldn't find any New Balance (my favourite brand) that was right for me, so I took a risk and bought a pair of Brooks "The Beast". Fab shoes if you like cushioning. However, my knee pain persists, so this time, I'm quite sure it's my form. It's probably related to a bad ski accident I had years ago. Every time I get any weird feeling in my leg, it's probably my right leg. :eek:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
No, I think the Jew is right. I had to stop running for months because I switched away from New Balance and bought a pair of Nikes. I got shin splints, didn't know what caused, and spent months figuring it out. Was it my form? Oh yes, it must be my form. Wrong!. I took 2 months off running, began running again for 3 weeks, and my shin started hurting again. Then I bought a new pair of New Balance, and everything was fine. :)

Now I have a knee problem, and I haven't run in 4 months. I stopped running, then bought new shoes with a bit more padding, and thought it would work out. It did for around 2 weeks, and my knee still hurts. I couldn't find any New Balance (my favourite brand) that was right for me, so I took a risk and bought a pair of Brooks "The Beast". Fab shoes if you like cushioning. However, my knee pain persists, so this time, I'm quite sure it's my form. It's probably related to a bad ski accident I had years ago. Every time I get any weird feeling in my leg, it's probably my right leg. :eek:

well everybody's different. i've ran in tons of different shoes, including tons of different brands. i've had my share of injuries, but no shoe has made my leg hurt so bad i couldn't run, yet if i switched shoes, i could go and run that day.

i just don't think those magical shoes you speak of exist, and i think you found that out also

EMU1337

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2007
I found that when I was trying to get back into running, that running on softer surfaces like grass, or dirt is easier on your shins than running on asphalt. This should help you transition into running longer distances on harder surfaces.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I found that when I was trying to get back into running, that running on softer surfaces like grass, or dirt is easier on your shins than running on asphalt. This should help you transition into running longer distances on harder surfaces.

this is correct. but i think the OP said he was only trying to run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes, or something like that

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
well everybody's different. i've ran in tons of different shoes, including tons of different brands. i've had my share of injuries, but no shoe has made my leg hurt so bad i couldn't run, yet if i switched shoes, i could go and run that day.

i just don't think those magical shoes you speak of exist, and i think you found that out also

Twoodcc, you might have a decent stride and form to start with, so you don't have to rely on the shoes to offset any weaknesses.

I have to agree with Abstract, I had recurring ankle issues when i was running in a pair of Adidas. I spent months trying to figure it out; was it from rugby? The treadmill? Switching from treadmill to ground? When I switched to New Balance shoes my ankle stopped aching 10 minutes into my runs immediately. I figured out the Adidas were too loose on my heel and it caused my ankle to get rolled and twisted funny. New Balance were a better fit. (Also rugby cleats, but you look and sound funny running down the sidewalk in those.)

While it might not be the whole cause, if you have any weird stride/form issues or specific foot needs, your entire run can change based on the shoe. The OP should apply ice liberally, take ibuprofen the day he's running, and try to get better shoes and new socks.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Hm. Mebbe I didn't read carefully enough, but I'm shocked no one mentioned tape?

Taping up shins is one v temporary "fix" if you've still got more running to do. And if you know you're prone, than tape up before each work out.

But yes, ice and anti-inflammatory meds will probably help, too.

Don't let them get too out of hand though-- could turn into stress fractures. :eek:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Hm. Mebbe I didn't read carefully enough, but I'm shocked no one mentioned tape?

Taping up shins is one v temporary "fix" if you've still got more running to do. And if you know you're prone, than tape up before each work out.

But yes, ice and anti-inflammatory meds will probably help, too.

Don't let them get too out of hand though-- could turn into stress fractures. :eek:

yeah, compression can help. i've tried it before. it's no miracle though

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Ice is good but it'll only help the symptoms, not the cause. I really think the shoes need to be looked at to prevent further pain and possible damage. :)

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Shoes have already been mentioned as a runner’s best worded friend when it comes to injury; “prevention”. Shin splints can be boiled down to two primary causes.

Overload and biomechanical:

Overload causes include:
•Exercising on hard surfaces, like concrete;
•Exercising on uneven ground;
•Beginning an exercise program after a long lay-off period;
•Increasing exercise intensity or duration too quickly;
•Exercising in worn out or ill fitting shoes; and
•Excessive uphill or downhill running.

Biomechanical causes include:
•Poor running mechanics;
•Tight, stiff muscles in the lower leg;
•Running with excessive forward lean;
•Running with excessive backwards lean;
•Landing on the balls of your foot; and
•Running with your toes pointed outwards

Check your shoes. Check your form. Check with a Podiatrist. Check your routine and routes. Check your rest. Some of us have long distance running experiences and advice to offer based on those experiences. Others may be shorter distance runners with the same, good advice. To the OP, I hope you are able to get to the problem, and thus the cure.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002

I never said my shoes made my legs hurt. Running in those Adidas for a long period of time resulted in shin splints (**I was wrong before when I said I ran in Nikes. I had switched from New Balance to a pair of Adidas). Switching back to New Balance that day wouldn't have helped, either. A combination of a LOT of down time, and switching shoes, helped.

After I took a long rest, I started running again and found that the problem came back after 3-4 weeks. I wasn't particularly impressed, and I met some hard-core runner from California, and he suggested that I take another 2 weeks off and switch back to whatever brand of shoes I had before. Anyway, I stopped running (again) for another few weeks, bought new New Balance shoes, and things were perfect again for 2.5 years of constant running. ;)

Again, I had no shin splints again for 2.5 years after resting, and going back to New Balance.

However, this problem I have now involving my knee is definitely not a shoe-related problem. It's form, and possibly running on concrete for too long, and too intensely for me.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
I have to agree with Abstract, I had recurring ankle issues when i was running in a pair of Adidas. I spent months trying to figure it out; was it from rugby? The treadmill? Switching from treadmill to ground?

Yep, I understand you. I tried the same thing. ;) Actually, I never used to run on a treadmill, but when things started to feel really bad, I started running on a treadmill because I feel it's a more controlled running environment. I was trying to see if it was my form, but didn't find anything glaringly bad. I semi-regularly jogged with my friend, who was one of the fastest people in France (not at the time, but maybe 6 years before that time), and while he definitely saw things in my form, he couldn't see how any of that could have affected my leg so badly.

I think New Balance is better for my flat footedness. They also fit me a bit better. The funny thing is that last time, I couldn't find a single pair of NBs that fit me well, and had to switch to Brooks in June. I also wanted something more padded, so I got "The Beast". They're great for people with (almost) no foot arch, although they are rather heavy shoes. :eek:

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Yep, I understand you. I tried the same thing. ;) Actually, I never used to run on a treadmill, but when things started to feel really bad, I started running on a treadmill because I feel it's a more controlled running environment. I was trying to see if it was my form, but didn't find anything glaringly bad. I semi-regularly jogged with my friend, who was one of the fastest people in France (not at the time, but maybe 6 years before that time), and while he definitely saw things in my form, he couldn't see how any of that could have affected my leg so badly.

I think New Balance is better for my flat footedness. They also fit me a bit better. The funny thing is that last time, I couldn't find a single pair of NBs that fit me well, and had to switch to Brooks in June. I also wanted something more padded, so I got "The Beast". They're great for people with (almost) no foot arch, although they are rather heavy shoes. :eek:

I can't sing the praises of New Balance enough. They are truly amazing shoes.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I never said my shoes made my legs hurt. Running in those Adidas for a long period of time resulted in shin splints (**I was wrong before when I said I ran in Nikes. I had switched from New Balance to a pair of Adidas). Switching back to New Balance that day wouldn't have helped, either. A combination of a LOT of down time, and switching shoes, helped.

After I took a long rest, I started running again and found that the problem came back after 3-4 weeks. I wasn't particularly impressed, and I met some hard-core runner from California, and he suggested that I take another 2 weeks off and switch back to whatever brand of shoes I had before. Anyway, I stopped running (again) for another few weeks, bought new New Balance shoes, and things were perfect again for 2.5 years of constant running. ;)

Again, I had no shin splints again for 2.5 years after resting, and going back to New Balance.

However, this problem I have now involving my knee is definitely not a shoe-related problem. It's form, and possibly running on concrete for too long, and too intensely for me.

well based on what you just said, i'd say part of the problem is you either didn't take enough time off the first time, or when you did come back, you did too much too soon. and if you have flat feet, that can be a problem as well.

anyways, it's funny that i'm talking about this, cuz my shin is starting to hurt a little (i've had a history of stress fractures). i have a higher pain tolerance than most, but i have to listen to my body. i think it's from taking a little time off, and then coming back too strong. hopefully this won't amount to anything

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.