need help getting 1st macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jayone, Apr 8, 2012.

1. jayone macrumors newbie

jayone

Hello all. I did have an account here before but idk what happened lol

ANYWAYS I was looking at Macbook pros from 2009 and I am seeing that they are going for an average of about 700+ dollars.

Now a refurbish macbook air from the mac store online is about 840ish all said and done.

now my question is cos im a newb with macbooks and of the like.

What would be better and have better specs? cos both are dual core from what i have seen and usually have the same specs so am i missing something here?

Thank you very much in advance for helping me out anything is greatly appreciated thank you

MACS FOR LIFE!!!!

2. simsaladimbamba

What are your computational needs?
    Anyway, a MacBook Pro from 2009 is on par with MacBook Airs from 2010 (the 2011 MBAs have i5/7 CPUs), depending on the specs of the MBP you look at.
    Mac Benchmarks by Geekbench

3. jayone thread starter macrumors newbie

jayone

AH yes i didnt even see that until after i read your post. I went to check out the refurbs they got on the mac store online and their it was. i5

as for what i plan on doing? pretty much just surfing the net, going on youtube, and probably using logic pro for occasional beat making on the go.

thank you very much for your reply simsaladimbamba I really do appreciate it

4. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

You would probably benefit from the i5/i7 processor. The C2D will suffice but you will get better performance out of the newer processors. If you can swing a MBP with an i5 or i7 then I would recommend that. If not I would probably lean more toward the MBA with the i5 and an external hard drive.

5. jayone thread starter macrumors newbie

jayone

Thanks Medic278 I hear ya. Hmmmm see I would LIKE to be as cheap as possible but I might need to spend a lil more cash idk lol.

Thanks for the replies :D :apple:

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

For internet surfing and email, 2009 model is enough.
    However for Logic Pro, I really suggest you get an i5.

Core 2 Duo to i5 is a huge jump and the change is noticeable.

7. jayone thread starter macrumors newbie

jayone

i agree, my imac i5 handles logic and pro tools at the same time with no hickups (not that i usaly do that)

i wouldnt be using logic alot on the laptop as i have a main mac for music (imac i5)

forsome reason i assumed the MBA didnt use i5 prosessors

BUT the MBA i was looking at is a 11 inch so thats a no go....

back to searching.

thanks yusukeaoki also your names sick! lol

Ciao

8. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Just keep you eye on the Apple refurb store, an early 2011 MBP should pop up eventually for a decent price. You can also check craigslist its spring break and some college students graduated so they may be trying to dump their 2011 MBP. If your leaning more toward the MBP is there ay particular size your looking at or are you just looking for the best deal on an i5/i7 machine?

9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

What year refurbish are you looking for?
    The 2011 model 11in MBA has 1.6GHz i5~1.8GHz i7/2~4GB RAM/64~256GB SSD.

The earlier model, however, has the C2D.

A brand new MBA 11in with i5/2GB RAM/64GB SSD is under 1000USD.

There is a exact same model as refurbished for 849USD on Apple online.

10. Medic278, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Here is a nice MBP for a little bit more than the MBA you quoted

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD313LL/A

ITs a bit more, but I think you'll be much happier with it, and after all its an investment really so the extra money will go a long way. The MBA is nice but you indicated that you'd rather have a MBP. With the pro your getting a quicker processor and double the RAM, plus the RAM is user upgradable so down the road you could always add more to speed it up. The MBA you quoted only has 2GB of RAM and there is no way to upgrade it as its soldered right to the board, so just some things to consider. Plus the MBP has more ports and has an optical drive if thats important to you. If an optical drive is figure $50 at least to pick up a decent external one so the price difference closes even further.

11. jayone thread starter macrumors newbie

jayone

sorry for the late response.

As for year i guess anything 2009 and up will be good.

yea im thinking an air might not be an option so ill just focus on a BM/MBP

Thanks for all the tips, I didnt realize the air had memory soldered right into the board.

12. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502