Need help getting internet on iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rumorsdan, Sep 22, 2016.

1. rumorsdan macrumors regular

I'm trying to get internet on my iphone via my home adsl connection. I've got a standard adsl modem (no router) with a direct ethernet connection to my imac (early 2009 model) running 10.6.8. I thought the process would simply be to turn on internet sharing in system prefs and set a network. Since the imac has airport extreme built in. The iphone see's the network but can't connect. I just get the spinning circle animation.

Can anyone help sort this out?

2. blhoward2 macrumors 6502

This is a terrible way to connect for many reason. Go buy a wifi router. They're not that expensive.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2016 ---
    This is a terrible way to connect for many reason. Go buy a wifi router. They're not that expensive.

3. rumorsdan thread starter macrumors regular

Can you tell me why?

4. RedOrchestra Suspended

Have a read through this and see if you've followed all the steps.

I use a router now BUT I used my iMac for years ... there's nothing wrong with using it OTHER than you need your computer on at all times.

5. blhoward2, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016

blhoward2 macrumors 6502

Not sure why that posted so many times.

Speed is the biggest issue. Also I believe you're restricted to less secure encryption. Terrible redundancy and compatibility (you're current problem). Terrible range. And your security is much worse because the router isn't acting as a firewall between you and the internet.

It's really just not designed to be used that way all the time.

6. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

dude, go get a wifi router thats some janky way of connecting. plus wireless allows all your devices freedom

7. RedOrchestra Suspended

It's not like you're dragging the iMac all over the house. And the signal range is just fine. Be minimalist.

8. rumorsdan thread starter macrumors regular

no link?

9. rumorsdan thread starter macrumors regular