need help getting iwork!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by parkm13, Mar 5, 2011.

1. parkm13 macrumors regular

i just bought the new pro and when i was re-dowloading all my mac app store apps saw that iwork wanted me to pay for it again! i dont have the disks anymore but i didnt think that would be an issue because i thought it was all backed up withe the app store. on my old mac it showed me i have them installed. would apple help me out and give me a free download or not? i really dont want to pay for something i just bought a month ago

2. /user/me macrumors 6502

This has happened to me a couple times. Just email iTunes, and then they should help you. For me, it was two albums that I downloaded to my phone that got wiped out once i got a new computer. I had to purchase them again, but Apple refunded the money from the first purchase, so i essentially got them for free. I'm thinking that this is what they're going to do for you, but i'm not 100% sure.

3. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

ok i just emailed them. will they still do it even tho i lost the disks?

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I'm unclear here... If you originally installed from disc then the Appstore won't allow you to download or update from there. If you originally bought from the Appstore and it's unavailable, then yes it's an Appstore issue.

5. /user/me macrumors 6502

If you dwnloaded it from the app store yes, otherwise they won't have a record, i.e. they cant prove you actually bought and paid for the program.

6. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

7. dwhynman macrumors regular

Even though on your old mac the app store recognized them as already installed you can only re download apps that you actually bought from the app store. you will need yo buy them again either from the app store or new disks. I recommend the app store.

8. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

Or if the old mac (or even just it's hard drive) is still around, use migration assistant to copy everything over?

9. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

apple gave me a code for iwork even though i bought and got rid of the disks. they only did it because one of the "genius'" told me i didnt need them anymore so i convinced them it was their wrong. so im happy :)

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If you purchased software on disk, ALWAYS keep the disks. What you got away with could be a significant source of lost revenue as people buy the software on disk, install it, sell the disks to a third party, then conveniently tell Apple what you did.