Need help getting started with WD 1TB External!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eastonboarder, Jan 22, 2010.

1. eastonboarder macrumors newbie

I just bought a WD 1TB external harddrive. I want to set it up solely for music and videos that I download, but I currently have no idea how to go about doing this. If anyone can, please walk me through the best option to set up this hard drive for file storage. I don't really care about backing up all my files that are currently on my computer, I just want to use this for music and video storage!

Also, how would I go about keeping my iTunes on the drive as well?

2. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Plug it into your mac and run disk utility. Select the new drive on the left (should be orange . . . DON'T select your Macintosh HD). Then click on the top "erase", then select Mac OS Extended (Journaled). You can enter a name if you want. Then click erase. This will format the drive to work in Mac OSX.

3. mstrze macrumors 68000

Also, follow the instructions HERE to create a new iTunes folder on the new drive and to move all of your current content.

Drives fail, so it would behoove you to have an additional drive to back up this one, unless you are OK with losing all of your media files someday.

4. eastonboarder thread starter macrumors newbie

for some reason, my iTunes doesn't have the "consolidate library" option. any thoughts?

5. mstrze macrumors 68000

File-----> Library-----> Consolidate Library

doesn't exist?

What version of the software do you have?

(I'm also assuming you have a Mac...you didn't specify...Windows versions are different)

6. eastonboarder thread starter macrumors newbie

iTunes 9.0.2 for Mac... the only options it gives under File... Library... are
    Back up to Disc...
    Organize Library...
    Export Library...
    Import Playlist...
    Export Playlist...

7. mstrze macrumors 68000

Ok...in 9 it's:

File > Library > Organize Library:

You will find a radio button there to check. :)

Second option probably moves and deletes the old files...'consolidate' option in this case gives you new versions in the new location. Consolidate option will be good for you since it effectively allow you to keep a backup of your current media files on your internal...or you can delete them once they are copied.