Need help going from Mavericks back to ML

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by KhunJay, Oct 26, 2013.

1. KhunJay macrumors regular

KhunJay

Using Superduper, I made a fully bootable clone of my Mountain Lion System before I installed Mavericks.

I'd like to go back to ML but all I have is the bootable clone of my previous ML System. (I do not have access to bootable USB with ML installer on it.)

Is there any way I can go back to ML using just my bootable ML clone drive?

I read some stuff here that suggested I could, but the instructions were not clear to me.

If one of you clever people could list it out step-wise, I would be most grateful.

Thanks.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sure... just option key boot to your clone. Then start Disk Util and select the drive itself at the top (like Seagate 1TB or whatever) and erase the drive to a Mac OS Extended format. By erasing the entire drive rather than just to Macintosh HD partition you will kill of the Mavericks recovery partition. Then just use SD to copy the external drive to the internal.

The only flaw is this won't give you a recovery partition since SD does not handle that. But the system will run fine.

3. KhunJay thread starter macrumors regular

KhunJay

I am writing this after successfully ditching mavericks moving back to ML. (Relieved as hell.)

I booted up in recovery mode, used DU to wipe the HD and then was allowed to download Mountain Lion. That happened without event and then I used the migration assistant to get all my files,apps and settings over. The only thing that got messed up was my lil snitch rules and I was asked to re-install, which I did.

Lots of things I dont like about mavericks, hope they sort it all out but for now I will carry on with the last of the big cats.

4. jwolf6589 macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

Odd. I find Mavericks much nicer and not much different from ML in appearance. iOS 7 however is another matter...