Need help, hd is lost, need recovery program

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mightypen, May 18, 2014.

1. mightypen macrumors newbie

Hello,
    my hd crashed today, and i need to attempt to recover my lost files.
    my os x is gone, it seems, so i cannot even find it with another mac. is it possible i can still recover my lost files? is there a good program i can use? thanks!

2. 960design macrumors 68020

Your SSD failed? You turned it on and nothing? You were messing around in terminal and deleted it?

Just curious as I have yet to see an SSD fail, I know that they have and do, just haven't seen it yet and I deal with thousands every day.

3. mightypen thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, i woke up, opened my computer, it stayed black for a minute, then came on, and flashed the folder with a question mark in it (icon).
    i had to do an internet startup, or whatever, then it went to a screen where i could choose disk utility, and some other options, but my hd was nowhere to be seen. i took it to a mac store, and they couldn't find my hd either. they said they could do a recovery, but it would cost 299, and it might not even work.

4. 960design macrumors 68020

There is fantastic recovery software available, but really not knowing what went wrong with your SSD; I would have to agree with the Apple Store people. It may or may not be recoverable. I'd say google a software package and pick one and try it.

I'm not recommending any of these, just to give you an example of what to google for:
    http://mac-hard-drive-recovery-review.toptenreviews.com/

Good luck and I'm sorry. Hopefully it is still under warranty!

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Next time buy an external disk and back up your personal files.

6. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

ddrescue your drive to a good one

use diskwarrior to repair the partition on the clone

use something like ufs explorer to find the data on the clone

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

If the entire disk is missing form Disk Utility, either you've had a failure on the SSD itself or on the main logic board. Depending on which version of the MacBook Air you have, it may be possible to swap the SSD over to a different computer & see if it'll read (this is the first thing they'll try with the $299 deal of course). If it doesn't, the chances of recovering data purely through software (DIY) is slim.

You need to buy a backup drive, or a service like CrashPlan (or both). I'd recommend the Time Capsule rather than a USB disk, that way it's automatic and you don't have to remember to plug in the disk periodically to update the backup. So you're looking at either $99/year for CrashPlan or $299 for a Time Capsule anyway. That's a good opportunity cost, i.e. money you should be spending.

Should you roll the dice and gamble an additional $299 for the chance of maybe getting some data back? If you can afford it, and you're talking about recovering the only copy of your cure for cancer or photos of Sasquatch, sure. If spending that on top of a backup solution would be a hardship, and/or it's your meticulously curated collection of selfies & the hundreds of hours you've put into the next Great American Novel, I'd suggest you save the money.