Need Help Here

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by eneilio, Mar 7, 2009.

1. eneilio macrumors newbie

Ok this is a long story my find bought a black macbook from my next friend and decided to start afresh with a new operating system and everything apparently he did not get the original install disks wit the laptop but gave some one to format the drive when the drive formatted the person had the imac install disks so obviously those did't work i got a universal leopard disk to install on the computer but it keeps saying "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer." "for mac OS X system requirments, see the "read before install" document on your Mac OS X installation drive" i have never encountered this problem and so have everyone else can anyone lead me down some road to getting this fixed cause it had leopard on it before the idiot formatted the drive.

2. mbradyrn macrumors member

mbradyrn

Ok, I will take a crack at this.

1. Make sure you have a black mackbook (this is very important) -- check pictures on everymac.com if you have doubts.

2. Turn off computer.

3. Turn on the computer with the OS X install disk inserted -- hold the 'C' key until it loads.

4. When the OS is visable -- look-up at the menu items and open the one labeled 'utilities'.

5. After formatting -- back out and resume the normal install process (e.g. follow the directions on the screen.)

Not sure which version of OS X you have, but if it's a retail, regular DVD AND you have a mac to work with -- it should install no matter what your friend did to the hard drive (within reason.)

Hope this helps.

3. eneilio thread starter macrumors newbie

yep i did that already when it came up you have restart or ok when u press ok you get the utilities i went in disk utility and formatted the drive over and over from Mac os extended journaled to case sensitive and restarted the computer each time and the same thing keeps coming up

4. mbradyrn macrumors member

mbradyrn

Did you try restart when you got the option? If not, try that. I will keep thinking about this -- not sure at this point. What happens if you just power up the computer? (What's installed already on the HD -- do you get anything at all to boot up?)

Options:
    Open in safe mode and see what the HD looks like
    Start and reformat with an external drive, if available

I've included a link that has a few start up options you might try as well.
    http://www.jacsoft.co.nz/Tech_Notes/Mac_Keys.htm[/URL]

Recap:
    Macbook
    Formatted in Mac OS journal
    OS X (10.5?) retail disk -- not a 'gray' install disk from another computer.

5. mbradyrn macrumors member

mbradyrn

I did a search of macrumors and they had some information on this, but not what I think you are looking for. I am adding a link from apple support that may help however.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2956

good luck

6. eneilio thread starter macrumors newbie

this was kinda helpfull cause i tried everything thing i possible know and i am leaning to it being a firmware problem "Troubleshooting tip: If you see a message that you cannot install Mac OS X on this computer, even though it should work with Mac OS X, you may need to install a firmware update. Restart your computer from the hard drive and install the latest firmware available for your computer." But now i'm faced wit a new problem how do i install the new firmware on a computer with no operating system on it now???

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

What version of Leopard does your friend have? If they have a MacBook 2.2 GHz (Black - Late 2007/Santa Rosa) it requires 10.5 (9A3111), but if they a MacBook 2.4 GHz (Black - Early 2008/Penryn) it requires 10.5.2 (9C2015). If it's an older MacBook the version of Leopard wouldn't matter. If the Leopard disc is newer than 10.5.2 (9C2015) it should work on any Black MacBook.

8. eneilio thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks everyone i think the last one may be the solution so imma try that and get back to you thanks again