Need Help Highlighting a Segment of Video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by holidaypf, May 11, 2009.

1. holidaypf macrumors member

I need to somehow highlight a portion of a video. For example, think of a video of someone changing a tire on a car. I need to be able to draw a circle around the tire, or point an arrow to the tire, or something like that. I have iMovie 08, 09 and just got Final Cut Express. (My how-to book is still on its way from Amazon.)

Thanks a bunch. I've been using advice from you Mac gurus for years.

2. jla930 macrumors member

Here's one way of doing it in FCE. This would make a circle or oval around the tire that would be normal exposure; the surrounding video would be darker, so the tire would appear highlighted.

This is harder to explain than it is to actually do, so please bear with me.

Duplicate the clip onto track v2 by copying and pasting the original clip from v1. You can do this by clicking the clip in v1 to select it, Edit-->Copy, position the timeline scrubber at the end of the clip by pressing the down arrow key on your keyboard, Edit-->Paste, then drag the duplicated clip to the v2 track. Make sure the v2 clip is lined up exactly with the v1 clip. You will have duplicated the original audio tracks into a3 and a4, but that won't hurt anything. If you want to avoid it, though, you can lock a1 and a2 before you Edit-->Copy the track on v1. You can then unlock a1 and a2 after you paste and drag the duplicated video clip to track v2.

[A shorter way to copy the v1 clip to v2 is this: after you select and Edit-->Copy the v1 clip, click the Toggle Auto Select button on track v1 to turn it off. It's the button to the right of the lock icon, just to the left of the clip itself. Position your timeline scrubber at the beginning of the v1 clip, then Edit-->Paste. The duplicated clip will now appear in track v2. There will not be duplicated audio tracks. Click the Toggle Auto Select button on v1 again to turn it back on.]

Click the Toggle Clip Overlays button at the bottom left of the Timeline window. (It's the second button with the zig-zag lines.)

Click the clip in track v1 to select it. All the way at the top of the clip is a black line. This is the opacity line. Move your mouse cursor to the line so that it becomes a double-headed arrow pointing up and down. Drag the line about half way down for now. At the moment, you won't see any change in the Canvas window.

Double click the clip in the v2 track to put it in the Viewer window. Now go to the Effects menu and select Video Filters, Matte, and Mask Shape.

Click on the Filters tab in the Viewer, and change Shape to Oval in the drop-down list. Look at the image in the Canvas Window. Drag the Horizontal and Vertical Scale sliders to get the size and shape you want.

Click on the "+" button next to Center, then drag your oval/circle in the Canvas window to where you want it.

Go back to the v1 clip in the Timeline and click it to select it. Drag the opacity line up or down to your desired level. You won't see any change in the Canvas window until you release the mouse button.

Using the Razor Blade tool in the v1 clip may help in applying the effect only to the part of the clip you want affected. Move the opacity line all the way up in the portions of the clip you don't want the highlighting to appear, and keep the line moved down in the portion you want with highlighting.

If you really want to get fancy, you could animate your circle/oval with keyframes to make it follow the tire, if it moves in the frame of the video. But I won't get into keyframes at this time.

P.S. What book did you order from Amazon?

3. holidaypf thread starter macrumors member

wow

jla930,

Thank you so much for your time and effort in providing those instructions. I'm out and about until later this week. Once I get a chance this weekend I'll let you know how I fare. I ordered "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop," but I'm sure glad I stopped in here first.

Thanks again!

4. jla930 macrumors member

Holidaypf,

Good luck and have fun. Is the book you ordered written by Tom Wolsky? I used a book written by Diana Weynand, but I've read that both are superior books for learning FCE. In fact, Tom Wolsky is a very frequent contributor on the FCE forum in Apple's site:

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=936

Between the Apple forum and the forum here that we're on right now, you can get plenty of help using FCE.

5. holidaypf thread starter macrumors member

Author

Yep, Mr. Wolsky. That's pretty cool that he posts on that forum, thanks for the link!

6. holidaypf thread starter macrumors member

Update

I made some progress this weekend on learning FCE and highlighting. Thanks again for the help. This is what I've figured out so far. (Cody the Golden Retriever was happy to help as subject matter.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQyVdWb6xVY

7. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

to make it perfect: apply the filter called something like "soft edges". It will make the difference between highlight and not highlight smaller. Double click on the file in your sequince. Open the filter tab (in the viewer), search for something like "attach point" or "middle point". Make a keyframe on that frama (it's the button with a 45 rotated cube, left of the lines). Change the "attach point" on every frame (or each 5 frames) and make keyframes. This way it will follow your dog.

8. holidaypf thread starter macrumors member

9. jla930 macrumors member

You've got the main idea. Good for you.