Need Help Hooking up my Laptop to a HDTV

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Entourage12, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Entourage12 macrumors member

Hello all,

I know this might not be the place to do this but I just need some general help and have been posting quite frequently on these boards recently.

I just bought a 42' Panasonic HDTV but it does not have a VGA port. I am currently using a crappy laptop given by the school until I buy myself a Macbook in June.

My laptop only has a VGA port. The HDTV has a HDMI port, and an S-Video port. Whats the best, and cheapest, way for me to hook my laptop up to the TV?

2. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

found this on a forum at cnet. Hope it helps. I don't have a VGA so I can't tell you anything from personal experience. Sorry.

3. Entourage12 thread starter macrumors member

4. CST macrumors member

Does the TV have DVI? If so you could go VGA to DVI....if not, you'll have to go VGA to DVI to DVI to HDMI. I don't know if that is possible but I know you could get some cheap cables at monoprice.com and test it.

To get audio out you'll have to use an 1/8 inch to RCA adapter from you computer to the TV.

5. CST macrumors member

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Regarding the cable you selected, read the product desription:

I think CST has the best idea, you should also be able to use the DVI to HDMI cable when you buy your macbook, but you might need another adapter (mini DVI to DVI I think)

7. Entourage12 thread starter macrumors member

8. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Did some more searching, but I can't find you a cheap solution, maybe someone else will...:eek:

My suggestion is just to hold off until you get your new computer. Why waste a couple hundred bucks for a couple months use? Probably not what you want to hear, but it if you can do without, wait.

9. CST macrumors member

You should be able to get them for less than $20 on monoprice.com. That's only a guess but they are dirt cheap and have quality stuff. It's where I go every time.