need help How to set up a mapped network drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by storymaster, Mar 9, 2008.

1. storymaster macrumors newbie

I have a G4 computer at home running Leopard that has a hard drive that I want to access from anywhere with internet and mount that hard drive on my laptop as use it as if it is sitting right next to me.

I have setup the home computer for remote access in the sharing prefs and I have forwarded ports on my router but when I try to connect to server from my MacBook Pro I am told it can't find the server.

I am entering my External IP for my home network but the computer with the hard drive has an internal IP address and isn't being seen from outside the LAN.

How do I set this all up to be able to be anywhere and have that drive mounted remotely on my desktop?

Thanks!

2. watsallthisthen macrumors newbie

In system preferences/sharing did you enable remote login? You may need to do that.

Also when you are entering the address are you adding the port on the end?

On a linksys router under applications and gaming/port forwarding, add a port for AFP (548) and direct it to the internal address of your computer.

Then when you try to connect to your home computer through the internet, you just go to connect to server and enter the address afp://your external ip address:548.

(If your router supports it) For a slightly more secure setup, you may want to setup UPnP Forwarding instead of standard port forwarding.

On a linksys router under applications and gaming/UPnP Forwarding, add a name for the application afp for the ext. port enter an arbitrary number that is not a port for another application. Remember this number as you will need it later. For the int. port enter 548. In IP Address enter your computer's internal IP Address and enable the port.

Then when you try to connect to your home computer through the internet, you just go to connect to server and enter the address afp://your external ip address:The arbitrary number you entered in the ext. port # that you entered in UPnP.

You may want to set up ddns as most ISPs. Don't give out static ip addresses plus you won't have to remember your external ip address, just the address that you setup with dyndns.org. You can get one for free through dyndns.org.

Hope this helps.