Need help (if possible) recovering a corrupted iPhoto database.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PinkyMacGodess, Nov 7, 2013.

1. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Problem: The scanner driver on an iMac corrupted the iPhoto database on a computer. (Not mine, thank Ford) And I have to try to recover it. (So far, not fun)

Symptoms: There are multitudes of 'resource' entries in the thumbnails (more on those later) and multitudes of thumbnails with what look like widget extensions. On startup, iPhoto tries to update thumbnails, and gets about half way through and pukes. I have done all of the 'option command' startup choices and can only get access to the database through iPhoto after doing the last choice which is a rebuild. I was able to go pull hundreds of entries of crap out of the database, but if I get towards the middle, something beach balls iPhoto and it shoots to the moon. It bombs while trying to rebuild the thumbnails during the startup rebuild (no surprise), but if I click past that spot in the scroll bar, I can get to the bottom of the database as displayed in iPhoto and delete more crap, until I get to that magical point.

Is there a way to crow bar open the database in another utility and excise this corruption? Is there a way, programmatically, to sift the database and nuke the badness? I would have thought that a database rebuild would have nuked the badness, but apparently it doesn't actually look that closely at the data, and perhaps more at the structure and this by the symptoms isn't a structure thing. Something got sucked into the database that shouldn't be there...

Complicating the issue, perhaps, is that the computer was upgraded to Mavericks and the problem was discovered after that. I don't know if there was a problem before the upgrade, although there was a comment along the lines of 'Oh yeah, I was having some kind of problem but I don't remember what it was right now.' Fricking USERS!!!

Anyone got any ideas? Is there any way to perform surgery on the database? And kind of utility that can actually look AT the data, and not just the structure? Barring that, did Apple publish the iPhoto database structure anywhere so that I might take a whack at killing this beast myself?

Thanks all...

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

You can try iPhoto Library Manager for about $20.

If you have access to Aperture you can create a new library then import the old library into it.

3. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Is there a backup? Yeah, it's probably a silly question, but I'm double-checking you don't overlook the obvious. Even an old backup can rescue the situation, because if you get all the oldest pictures from backup, and the new ones from the database, you're done.

Edit: some other options:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4621237_access-iphoto-library-opening-iphoto.html