Need help - iMac and airport express

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Audio Blood, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Audio Blood macrumors member

Hi - I could use some help.

I have an iMac and just purchased an airport express. I must be a dummy setting it up but I am just not getting it.

I have a router with the cable line plugged into the wall and router. I have a blue ethernet cable plugged from the router to my iMac giving me internet access.

I would like to use the airport express mainly for airplay to my livingroom TV for the apple tv, but I'd also like to set up a wireless network.

Do I keep the blue ethernet cable plugged into the back of the iMac->router, or plug it from the router to the airport express? Or do I need a second ethernet cable? I do need to keep the router, right, since it's plugged into the cable line?

Sorry for sounding clueless. Any assistance would be great! Thank you.

2. Audio Blood thread starter macrumors member

3. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Don't worry, I hope I can help. That blue ethernet cable goes from your modem to the WAN port of your Airport Express (AE); this is to set up your wireless network. Open 'Airport Utility' in 'Utilities', it should say it found an AE. Click manual set-up, and follow the prompts, give your WiFi network a name, and at the end click 'APPLY'. After a short configuration period, you will have a wifi network to which you can connect via Airport, as long as you're in range. To get maximum performance on your iMac, get a second ethernet cable and plug that in any LAN port of your newly configured AE, and the other end in the ethernet port of your iMac.

You now have wired ethernet access to the internet on your desktop, and a wireless network throughout your home, for laptops, tablets, whatever.

You can now use that APPLEtv to join your network, for streaming your content to your livingroom tv. Enjoy!

4. Audio Blood thread starter macrumors member

Got it working, thank you!

However, now I'm having a problem connecting to home sharing.

Apple TV continues to tell me to turn on home sharing in iTunes, and it is on. I reset the Apple TV and still, no luck. I am running iTunes 11.2 or so.

5. Audio Blood thread starter macrumors member

6. Audio Blood thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for all the posts but everything works finally. I had to restart iTunes 3 times, restart computer, all good now. Strange though because all the networks were the same, etc.

Anyways, thanks for your help.

7. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Glad to help.