Need help in capturing PS2/PS3/Xbox 360 video on my Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Khryz, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I've been searching around the forums here to see how I can capture video from my game systems to put online but so far I've found the Elgato Systems are the only choices for Mac. That's fine. I'm new to Macs, and generally a novice in terms of computers.

I would really appreciate it if someone could give me the products I would need to be able to pull this off. I haven't found any threads that go into specific details on what to get.

Thanks everyone.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. Do you want a TV tuner?
    2. Do you want a video capture box?

3. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for your quick reply. The thing is, I'm not familiar with either or them, so I don't really know the difference.

4. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Very well.

Do you need a capture device that can handle television signals as well as a composite and S-Video inputs?

Or do you need one that is device that can only take composite and S-Video inputs?

6. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

You lost me, :confused: lol

I don't know what any of that means. Basically, I just want to know the options that I have, seeing as though I have a Macbook, to be able to capture high quality video from a TV and record it on my computer somehow. I don't know what programs to use on my Mac, don't know what equipment to use.

I did find this youtube video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9eMgZ92rVw

.. which outlines an Elgato EyeTV set-up, but it costs over $200. I'm only going to be using it for recording video games and possibly a few TV shows, so I don't think that's worth it.

What about recording the TV show to a camcorder, and then uploading it to the computer? There has to be some cheaper ways to capture video.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm sure that I can break it down into simpler terms.

I've used the Elgato hardware before but the delay is noticeable even in game mode.

8. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey, I really appreciate you helping me out. I realize I might be tough to help as I'm not very computer or tech-savvy.

Yeah I heard the Elgato systems were the ONLY options I have available, but I just find it hard to believe that that's true. Like I said above, a simple recording onto a camcorder and then uploading the file onto the computer .. will that work? Is there an even simpler .. or cheaper way?

I was kind of bummed that Macs don't come with this hardware, I figured if anything they would have it over PC's.

9. adk macrumors 68000

adk

If it has a TV tuner, it means it has a plug where you can just connect your TV cable and watch say, sportscenter on your computer.

If it's just a video capture device, it only has the Red, White, and Yellow prongs and would only work with an xbox, dvd player, etc.

10. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well what about a simple DVD Recorder? Are they all universal that can connect to a Macbook and PC's somehow? I've never seen one so I'm not very familiar with them.

11. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Miglia makes a few TV Tuners, which can connect to your MB via USB, you'd have to with split your input so you can play it on your TV, as you record to your MB, or you can hook your console directly to the Miglia box and play your game on your computer screen (as it records)

12. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, I never even heard of Miglia for Mac. Thanks!

Their products seem TOO simple and cheap -- and I'm wondering if there is a catch.

Basically, at school here I have to connect a TV cable from the wall outlet into our TV. So that would require a certain Miglia product in order for me to record TV onto my Mac -- correct?

While at home, we have iO Digital Cable, so would that require a different product?

Again, I'm still very new to this so if someone could point me in the right direction in terms of Miglia that would be awesome.

Here is the website store: http://store.miglia.com/

13. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've searched for some reviews on Miglia products and all in all they seemed to be pretty well reviewed. Alot of the smaller devices that can capture video seem to force the computer to do all of the processing power, which is good for cost but bad if you computer is slow. I have a Macbook I bought in July, C2D so I'm not worried.

Still a little confused on exactly the right products I need from their product line as they all seem to be saying they do the same things.

Also, I'm curious if you think these products will still be compatible with Leopard.

14. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

I have an EvolutionTV, it work in leopard fine. It was like $50 I think, works great, setup was a bit tricky, but a call to tech support was simple enough, since the set up is counter-intuitive, i was doing it wrong. I'd recommend their products.

15. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't see the EvolutionTV on their website anymore.

Basically I'm curious about what's the difference between the Digital TV products and the Analog TV products - I know what the difference is between the two forms but how do I know which forms I have?

Secondly, they have products that are $200 for video capture, but then they have those $40-$60 products that are TV Tuners .. what is the advantage of the more expensive ones? Both of them capture video right?

As you can see I'm pretty much clueless on the subject.

16. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

If I want to just capture video from a vcr using rca, what is the best solution to do this?