Need help in choosing from Canon Powershot series.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by zebraman, Jun 15, 2008.

1. zebraman macrumors member

Ive been looking to get into photography and most people have recommened me the powershot SD line for my price range and for what i want it for. I have seen that its a great series and i have decided that its best if i get something along the 200-250 line in there. Which model do you guys recommend out of all of those?

2. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

Personally I recomend the PowerShot SD1000. I have ahd the camera for about a year and never had a complaint about it.
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=14901

It's a small and compact camera but also has a ton of cool features built in. Oh, and did I mention it's cheap? I didn't, well the " Suggested Retail Price" from Canon's site is $200 (Hey! That's gone down from when I bought it... grr...)

I almost forgot to mention, it has a viewfinder AND a big screen. Something that is getting harder to find in point-and-shoot cameras, I think the viewfinder makes a huge differance.

3. cube macrumors G5

I prefer the A series because they provide more control and are a better value.

Unless you really want something that small and/or fashionable.

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

The SD models have subtle differences. What exactly are you looking for?

I recently bought a SD 790is for various reasons but have had three SD series cameras in the house with excellent results and reliability. The battery lasts for a long time, very compact, great pic's, adequate flash, plenty of features & Made in Japan. Most if not all of the A series are mode in china.

Recent pic's:

Attached Files:

5. cube macrumors G5

Even if they were made in China, that doesn't make them bad (if any current P&S can be considered "good").

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

P&S's are what they are and have their place.

I've bought 4 SD's, one S5 and a G9. I may have had a unique experience but the only one I had a problem with was the chinese made S5.

7. cube macrumors G5

It's not about what they are. It's about making them worse since some years ago.

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I agree to a point.

IS, face recognition and other software features make P&S's ideal for most users to catch decent shots. The optical IS is really a "must have" using macro mode without a tripod. More MP's (not that they're needed), lighter weight, larger & brighter LCD's, better battery life and ease of use to name a few improvements make the tradeoffs worth it for most people looking for a P&S.

I love having a SD in my briefcase or with me when I go out.

9. CMD is me macrumors 6502

If you want any manual controls, the A720 is a great camera and can be found for under $200. The only I think I didn't care for was the build quality -- feels cheap (like a DELL rather than a Mac). The SDs are A LOT smaller, but also lack most manual controls and cost a bit more. All the Canon's I've ever used produce great images.

10. ChrisA macrumors G4

I'd say get an "A" model and you don't have to spend that much. More then 6MP is a waste.

You would get more informed advice if you'd tell us what you are looking for in a camera and how you will use it.

I think almost all Apple computers are also made in China. If they only make junk in China then....

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Jumping the gun there a bit, aren't we. Who said China makes only junk?

China makes a lot of junk but certainly not everything from there is. There are plenty of plastic A series cameras out there working fine but I prefer a metal body that's made in Japan. I also have a G9 that is quite adequate. Again, a metal body made in Japan. The compact battery is also a plus for me with the SD series vs. the AA's used in the A series.

I would assume that the OP was looking for an ultra-compact which the A series is not.