Need help in connecting electric guitar to MacBook air using audio jack

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kvasan, Jan 8, 2017.

1. kvasan macrumors newbie

kvasan

Dear Friends,

I want to connect electric guitar to MacBook air using headphone jack.
    i tried to connect using suggestion from online forums, but there is no option to choose input source in Siera version of OS.
    could anyone provide more information me or do i need to buy any adaptor for this ?

Please direct me if this is not the right place to ask.

Thanks in advance !

Thanks
    Vasanth

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

As mentioned you need an external soundcard with audio-in.

4. Uplift macrumors 6502

If you want studio quality recordings on a budget look no further than the Focusrite Solo... It is designed for musicians/guitarists and comes with software for recording and lots of plugins.

If you're on the new MacBook Pro (USB-C) you could look at the M-Audio M-Track 2x2 which uses USB-C helping you avoid the use of dongles.

5. Tommo66 macrumors newbie

6. dwig macrumors 6502

Actually, you need a DAC that specifically has guitar or "instrument" inputs. The signal level is quite different from either "mic" or "line" inputs.

There are quite a number of such DACs, ranging from simple cables, with embedded circuitry for recording from a single instrument, to "mixer" type boxes that include mic & line inputs and computer outputs. Prices in the US will begin in the $10-15 USD range.

7. Brammy macrumors 65816

Just get a RockSmith cable. It's USB and works great. I use it as an audio input to my Mac all the time from my guitar.

You can get some iRig and Apogee adapters as well, but I've found the RockSmith Cable to be the least fussy option.