Need help in deciding: MBP 13" or MB 13"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lasalzil, Apr 20, 2010.

1. lasalzil macrumors newbie

I've been a PC user forever, and my PC has just broken. It's usable, but not for much longer. I am looking to buy a Mac in July or August. I am deciding between the Macbook and Macbook Pro 13". The difference is only $200, so it's not so huge that it is a deciding factor. I will be a senior in college next year and I'm hoping that this computer will last me about 3 or 4 years.

I really love the look of the Macbook because I'm obcessed with white computers. My PC is white :) However, the Pro's design has grown on me A LOT and I'm thinking it may be more durable in the long run. I definitly want a 13" so I'm trying to figure out what would suit my needs best?

I need it to run Microsoft Office programs for school and browse the internet. I'm probably not going to be doing much along the lines of photos and videos. And for sure, no gaming. (I may install Sims 3 :) )! Of course the Mac is so compact so that's not to much of difference, definitly light weight and easy to carry.

So, just wondering what you would suggest. Again, the $200 more is really not an issue. If it was $500, that would be an issue, but $200 isn't that big of a deal!

2. Raje macrumors member

At this point in time the MBP 13" is the clear winner in my book.
    Pros:
    Aluminum unibody (this is personal opinion)
    Backlit keyboard
    Nvidia 320m nice upgrade from the 9400m
    10 hour battery life(3hours more than the MB)
    4gb of ram

Cons:
    Aluminum conducts heat making it much warmer when holding than an MB
    Aluminum is easy to dent

I feel that right now the MBP is your best bet, however a revision (to the MB) could happen by July/August that makes the gap between the MBP and the MB narrower. Either computer will do everything you need it to just fine.

3. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Since I have and regularly use both (I have a new 13" MBP, my wife has an early-08 white Macbook), let me say that I highly recommend the new 13" MBP. The aluminum casing, SD reader, firewire, more RAM, better graphics, better battery, IR port for remote, etc., etc., all make it worth the money.

Just be sure to find your best deal!

For example, the Macbook can be had at Microcenter for $799. I just bought my new Pro for $1049 AR at Macconection. Plus, Apple has refurbs all the time... Have fun - either machine, you'll definitely enjoy! :D

4. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

If $200 isn't a big deal, upgrade to the MacBook Pro. :)

5. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

Alu might conduct more but it'll dissipate throughout the body better, thus lower overall temps due to greater surface area.

My MBP is never hot, unless I'm on Hulu and doing some heavy browsing. I got a plastic speck case on mine and it's still only 54c right now.

I'd imagine on the newer ones the temps would be a tiny bit lower.

The plastic MB is a scratch/scuff magnet.