need help in partitioning my mbp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Laith99, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Laith99 macrumors newbie

hello
    i have got my new macbook pro 15" 2.0 i7 and it's the first mac i use. so i'm a bit confused while i'm migrating from windows to apple.

my hard drive is 500 GB should i leave that as 1 partition or should i have several partitions. i was planning to sperate system, apps, media so something like 3 partition after some investigation i knew how to make partitions. but what about my application folder ? can i move that to another partition? or it has to be in the system folder ? and also what about my media files like ( pictures, movies, downloads ) in my home directory, can i move that to another partition ?

thanks a lot

2. Hansr macrumors 6502a

What for? Honestly if you need to ask about this I would recommend just keeping it a single partition.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

OS X doesn't like to work with that many partitions. It will work but is not the most efficient and that partitions on one drive decreases the life of the drive (because of the extra work of the drive).

Now the largest thing is going to be your iTunes Library (trust me when I say iTunes on OS X is 100% better than iTunes on Windows). So Apple has long had a document titled iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Media folder. Plus if you are a RAW photographer or video producer then I would learn about using OS X Aliases and moving those large libraries to a NAS or something along that line.

You best bet would be buy an Airport Extreme, a USB2 powered hub and some cheap USB2 externals. This way you could use one drive for Time machine and another drive for media files. This way whenever you are in that wireless network you will have access of all your media data.

I use a similar setup with a Time Capsule and the external streams 1080 video great to my TV.

4. Laith99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys,

i'm like 10 years windows user so i'm still switching.

thank you