Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Hey guys,
Well i have a MacBook Pro 13" late 2011 i7.Purchased in December of 2011 with apple protection plan.
First let me list out my history of parts changed.
1. Super Drive
2. Display
3. Magsafe board
4. Logic board
So yea the logic board was changed and i picked it up from the service provider yesterday keyboard and trackpad was not working and the logic board change was the solution. The AASP formatted my hdd due to a slow boot so i had to wait till i got home to instal mountain Lion and the remaining softwares. All was fine last night till this morning when i booted up to garbled display and then a restart to a white screen. While connecting an external monitor i am able to enter my user account and use it, the inbuilt display just shows a white screen, Apple hardware tests show no issue.
Prior to my logic board change i had a word with customer relations for a replacement and they asked me to give them a last time to fix and further if any issues then they will look at other options.
And unfortunately this issue cropped up. I spoke to apple care and they asked me to take the laptop for a diagnosis and have the engineer speak to them, did that and then they diagnosed it as an hardware issue but further diagnosis is needed to tell what part has conked. When i then asked the customer care person about whats the solution he tells me replacing the parts. So now I kind of feel that asking for a replacement is only met by getting we will look at options.
I live in India and we do not have apple stores. Does my case warrant a replacement/refund or just replace parts? How should i go about getting this resolved as now i feel the laptop would be unreliable. Its currently with the AASP and i asked them to inform me the diagnosis and wait for a solution from apple.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If you were told to give it one last repair then I would ask for a new one. How many times have you taken it in or sent it in?

If they have replaced the MLB once already then I would say it is time for a new machine if that didn't fix things. You now have a display issue (again) and it is possible something wasn't connected right, but if not, I think I'd press on about a new machine.

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
well they did ask one last time the last time which was last week when i gave it for the logic board.
Ive been to service 4 times including today's. The guy there ran the mac resource indicator of the network in AST. It detected my display i checked some data in it and it shows manufacturing year-2008 got me all puzzled up as mine is a 2011 and only last year its display was changed. He tried reseating the LVDS cable but nothings changed so he wants to diagnose further.
That apart what if they deny a replacement and offer to fix, what else can i do? Its been a long week without it and maybe another week if they wish to only replace stuff. (it takes them 3-4 days to ship a part)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
well they did ask one last time the last time which was last week when i gave it for the logic board.
Ive been to service 4 times including today's. The guy there ran the mac resource indicator of the network in AST. It detected my display i checked some data in it and it shows manufacturing year-2008 got me all puzzled up as mine is a 2011 and only last year its display was changed.

That apart what if they deny a replacement and offer to fix, what else can i do?
Don't get hung up on that 2008, focus on the repairs.

If they deny you, you call Customer Relations and work from there. 4 times, 2011, I would not settle for less. My 2008 Mac Pro went in for repair in February 2009. They replaced the PSU, CPUs, MLB, and Airport all in one go. They could not fix the issue. I got the machine back for one week (scratched terribly on the side) while they had ordered a new BTO 2008 MP. I never had to ask, they simply could not fix the issue. Again, at 4 repair attempts I would be asking for a new one. I am not sure about India, but there is a lemon law in the states.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Does not matter where you are, apple care does mean a lot, keep writing and bugging them with replacement option, you should deserve a better treatment.
I know in certain part of the world, there are lots of excuses, they can come up with.

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
well ill see what solution they offer me today, ive shot up a mail to the customer relationship person handling my case. Will update then.
till then thank you guys for helping out.
Don't get hung up on that 2008, focus on the repairs.

If they deny you, you call Customer Relations and work from there. 4 times, 2011, I would not settle for less. My 2008 Mac Pro went in for repair in February 2009. They replaced the PSU, CPUs, MLB, and Airport all in one go. They could not fix the issue. I got the machine back for one week (scratched terribly on the side) while they had ordered a new BTO 2008 MP. I never had to ask, they simply could not fix the issue. Again, at 4 repair attempts I would be asking for a new one. I am not sure about India, but there is a lemon law in the states.

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Hey guys to update you, the guy at the aasp said it was the logic board. I then spoke to customer relations and they then asked me to get my laptop back from service and they will arrange for my laptop to be sent to singapore, once they recieve it then they will dispatch a new mbp 13 inch i7 2.9ghz from singapore. It should take two weeks but at the end im once again a happy apple customer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.