Need Help Installing 2nd DVD burner

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cineapple, Feb 19, 2008.

1. cineapple macrumors regular

I have the new mac pro, and tried installing my second dvd burner (a LG lightscribe) in my mac.
    When I installed it though, and start-up, it hangs on the grey start-up screen. At first I thought this had to do with one of my second HD, but through process of elimination realized that it was the DVD burner. How do I install the second burner correctly? It seems like I need to move the pin in the back? What position do I need to put in? Could this be the problem?

2. GotPro macrumors 6502

Easy. I just did this on my new Quad 2.8 + 8800 Today.

If you are coming from the PC world... you are probably used to Master / Slave jumper settings...

A lot of Drives will come with the jumper set to Master.

You need to move it to the CS or Cable Select position... and all will be right with the world ;)

3. cineapple thread starter macrumors regular

No, I'm coming from the Mac world, so I thought it would be automatic. :)

So, there are only three positions in to move the pin, which position do I put the pin in to set it to the Cable Select position?
    EDIT: I just read on the Apple forum that the second drive will only work if set to Slave not Cable. Is this true?

4. GotPro macrumors 6502

Nope... needs to be CS... I have 2 Apple Superdrives... BOTH are at CS...

If you look on the drive itself... there will be jumper IDs... put it on the one that says CS!

5. cineapple thread starter macrumors regular

It doesn't say anything on the drive, just three positions I can move the pin with no ID.

6. smogsy macrumors 6502a

jumper pin ids are normally on the white label on top of HDD or somtimes in engraved or submerged just above the jumper setting (somtimes needs light to see them lol)

7. cineapple thread starter macrumors regular

Now DVD tray can't open thru mac pro!

Got the jumper cable set, installed the drive, but my LG lightscribe super drive DVD tray won't open in the mac. It seems to be hitting the MC drive door! Is there only a select number of DVD drives that work?!? Or did I not install properly?

8. rtrt, Feb 22, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011