Need Help Installing Bootcamp! ughh.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by killy32, May 19, 2014.

1. killy32 macrumors newbie

Alright so heres the deal I have been up for 24 hours now trying to get this to work. I have a 15'' macbook pro 2006 duo core running snow leopard. I went into bootcamp and partitioned a bootcamp partition for me to install Windows 7. After doing that I tried booting off multiple windows 7 install disks I have and it will not work! even when I try to hold down the option key at startup the disk will not show up... I even made a bootable partition on my expansion external hard drive. but no luck. I am getting so irritated and confused as to why my Macbook pro hates me.

I even went all out and used parallels desktop 9 to copy my virtual os system files right too my bootcamp partition and ever sense i did that I can now go into startup disks and select BOOTCAMP Windows. but when I let it boot up if gives me the error, no bootable device insert windows installation disk and press any key. I could probably cry now im that frustrated and tired.

Please for god sakes someone please help me. :confused: :(

2. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Are you putting the install disks in the internal superdrive?

They will only work from an internal, not an external optical drive (e.g. if you have put a Data Doubler or Optibay in the DVD bay)

You will get more and better help in the Windows and others on Mac section

3. int3 macrumors member

int3

You loss a lot of performance, battery life when running Windows.
    I recommend not to bootcamp on mbp.
    By the way, if you destroy windows boot loader there won't be another boot loader like grub or the mac itself to load the kernel of the operating system. So, if you eliminate all partitions, inclusive the rescue one you are in trouble.
    I don't know if apple allows you to install via usb-pen, but I don't know where you can download the image legally.
    So, the best option to use windows is in VirtualBox (free and open source).

4. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

5. int3 macrumors member

int3

So, If my SSD gets screwed or the MBR and I needed to format and install OSX again what do I do? I'm just curious :) Do I need to have a external DVD drive and buy an OSX DVD like the older ones came with mbp with dvd drive?
    I have a rMBP 13'' late 2013, so no dvd, just the recovery partition :p

6. Mike Boreham, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014

Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Your late 2013 rMBP is in the category (in my previous post) of a "recent Mac supplied with no internal superdrive", so can boot Windows (and Mac) stuff from an external optical, or from a USB stick.

If you need to reinstall OSX you do it from the Recovery Partition, not from DVDs (they don't exist).

You don't need to buy an external optical drive.

Not relevant to you but for completeness, with the earlier macs the problem is only booting Windows from external optical drive...not Mac stuff. Earlier Macs will boot Mac install disks and bootable CDs like Diskwarrior and Techtool from an external optical. Earlier Macs will also boot OSX from a USB memory stick. I am pretty certain Parallels can install Windows from a external optical as it is via the Mac (but not 100% sure about this). Parallels or VM Ware are a whole lot less trouble than Bootcamp.

7. int3 macrumors member

int3

And one huge problem of Windows that I hate is the power consumption, a bit noisy and not stable as unix-like systems.

But I think you didn't get my point Mike :p
    But let me clear one question. Is the recovery "partition" on the same physical SSD or not? I was trying to say IF somekind of super power destroy my mac's SSD (Virtually) including all partitions and MBR so there is no boot loader to load the recovery, neither the recovery itself.

I think I'm writing this right. Sorry for any grammar mistakes :/

8. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Yes it is. If that happened and the SSD was still physically OK you would use "Internet Recovery". Reboot holding opt+cmd+R and it will download a Recovery partition and boot from it, and from the RP you could format, download the full installer and reinstall.

9. int3 macrumors member

int3

WTH.
    This. is. amazing... is the BIOS handling that hardware tests and downloading the stuff?
    "OS X Internet Recovery lets you start your Mac directly from Apple's servers. Starting up from this system performs a quick test of your memory and hard drive to check for hardware issues."
    Wow, I'm stunned.
    I just... I don't even have words to explain..

I have been doing "recovery" via Microsoft Deployment on some clients, when we have at lot of machines. and I already used UDP Cast and Ghost. I thought that was the limit. I thought I was the "king" (you know the feel) when you format like 20 machines in 1 hour saving you 19.
    But this is crazy.... from internet?

I'm stunned.

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

That feature isn't exactly new. It appeared in 2011 with OS X Lion...

11. int3 macrumors member

int3

But I'm new on the mac world :p

12. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Welcome:)