Need help installing everything over again

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by psqueezy64, May 5, 2008.

1. psqueezy64 macrumors newbie

I bought my macbook air from a friend and there is a adminstration side that protects everything by password, neither me or my friend know the password. I have both the installation disks but everytime i go to install it over again it asks for the adminstration password and i dont know it. Is there any way i can just restart everything without needing to know the adminstration password?

2. MacHipster macrumors 6502

If you friend doesn't know his password then how did he make any changes (i.e. install apps)?

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sounds like you're friend set an EFI password and that's what the issue is. If you can prove you're the owner I think the Apple Store can reset everything.

4. wolfie macrumors regular

im sure theres as procedure where you hold down a particular button as you start up and something to do with the spinning wheel upon boot and it by passes the administator password and goes straight to reinstall the OS x.

im not sure of the details but either google it, or someone here with any idea of the os x would let you know it can be done?.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Nope. That password cannot be reset.

Please turn it to the place where you "found it". Otherwise get your money back from the person who sold it to you.

6. aussieinrome macrumors regular

aussieinrome

Something stinks...

Smells like a stolen Air to me.