Need help installing Fedora Linux on my iMac ;)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sehnsucht, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

So I have the Fedora distro as an .ISO file, and I know to use Disk Utility to burn the image to a DVD. However, I'm wanting to set up a dual-boot system with my hard drive partitioned...how do I install this on the partition so I won't have to boot from the DVD? Thanks. :D

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Run Boot Camp assistant.

When you restart, load Fedora, not Windows and make sure you install to the correct partition.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Basically you have to partition your disk using Disk Utility, then install Linux on the new partition.

You can then choose the boot drive by holding down Option when starting up your Mac.

EDIT: Well, or the above. Either way works ;)

4. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Just to throw this out there, I really enjoy rEFIt on my MBP for dual booting. When the computer starts, you don't need to worry about holding Option, it automatically takes you to a very aesthetically pleasing boot menu.

5. Sehnsucht thread starter macrumors 65816

:D Update: Being a complete Linux noob, I fought with the installation all night and accidentally wiped my hard drive clean...my iMac then booted to a black screen that said "MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM" and a blinking cursor. Shameless plug for Time Machine backups! :D After getting everything restored back to normal, I still have no earthly idea how to install Fedora on the appropriate partition and actually be able to boot from said partition. :confused: 'm assuming this is done with Fedora's "Install to Hard Drive" utility, but I tried that and kept getting an error...something about needing to choose a root something-or-rather and Fedora needs this in order to continue. (sorry, I only got 1.5 hours of sleep last night!) :D

I've tried formatting the partition as FAT32 and HFS+, neither of which it seems to like (does this even matter?).

Thanks again. :cool:

6. No1451 macrumors 6502

It uses the ext filesystem, I believe that they are ext4 at this point.