Need help installing Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Andrew83Ga, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Andrew83Ga macrumors regular

So I just got a new MBP and am giving my old 2009 MBP to my sister in law. I erased the HD using the disk utility so that I would feel 'new' to her. After restarting, I now I have to re-install Mavericks on it, and tried using her Apple ID (she has one but only has used it for her iPhone), but obviously she's never purchased Mavericks so now I don't know what to do. I was going to just use my ID but now sure if I should/could.

I've thought about entering on the guest profile on my new MBP and purchasing mavericks under her Apple ID there but now sure if that will work. Can I do this?

Basically her Apple account needs to haver purchased Mavericks, and since guest accounts delete all file when logging out, I figure it should work to where I can purchase it, not download it, and then on the old MBP use her ID and it will work no?

Thanks. Clearly I'm not super tech savvy so if there's an easier or more obvious way to do it, I'm all ears

2. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Just use your own Apple ID. It won't be linked to the new user account you create, Apple has a fair use policy when it comes to installing one version of OS X on many machines.

In fact they've never really given a crap and I think they probably care less so now that Mavericks is free.

In the event that the install somehow does link to your Apple ID. Create a new user, delete yours and that's the problem solved (although I'm 99.99% certain that it doesn't.)

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are correct... it won't.

OP> Justy use your AppleID for the install like Twimfy said. Then setup a user account for your sister and have her "purchase" Mavs under her AppleID in case she ever needs it to do a reinstall.