Need help installing new OS X to my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Macli, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Macli macrumors newbie

Hi,

I need some help installing a new OS X to my MacBook Pro mid 2010.
    The hard drive crapped in my MacBook Pro two days ago. I bought a new hard drive yesterday but I don't know how to install a new OS X to the drive. Maybe the biggest problem is that I don't have any other Mac device. I only have a Windows 7 PC. I've two USB flash drive. One 8GB and the other one 16GB.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you.

2. simsaladimbamba

The mid-2010 MBP came with two grey Restore DVDs.
    If you insert DVD 1 into your optical disc drive and press C right after having started the MBP via the power button, it will boot from that DVD and allow you to format the HDD and install Mac OS X onto it.

To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 19 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:

If you do not have those DVDs anymore, you have to either contact Apple to get Replacement Restore DVDs or ask a friend with a Mac or even an Apple Store (with proof of purchase of your MBP and maybe even your MBP with you) to download OS X 10.9 Mavericks (free from the Mac App Store (MAS)) and create a bootable USB installer with this tool.

3. Macli thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much! I don't have the DVD disks. But I should be able to download, right?

Thank you again.

Edit: I just read I can contact with apple store.

Thank you.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Another choice is internet recovery.
    Assuming your 2010 MBPro has up-to-date firmware, you can do a restore from Apple's servers through your internet connection.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

5. simsaladimbamba

There are not available for legal downloading.

6. Macli thread starter macrumors newbie

Doesn't work. I tried it 4 times but didn't get the recovery menu. Just a ? in a folder. Thanks.

Didn't know that. Thanks.

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Internet recovery can be quite a slow boot, and can take several minutes.
    BEST choice is to use an ethernet connection, rather than wireless.
    And, you can also see in that support page, that there's a few network setups that may not allow that connection to the server.

Your mid-2010 MBPro will be some version of 10.6.
    I was going to recommend that you purchase a 10.6.3 installer from Apple - they still sell it on the Apple web store site.
    However, it won't install directly on your MBPro, unless you have ANOTHER Mac to setup and update the install. Your best choice is the set of original DVDs, if you can find that. Or, you can purchase the download for 10.7 from Apple, as another choice.

8. Macli thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is I couldn't get the MBpro into recovery mode. I believe because no OS X installed I can't get the MBpro into recovery mode. Am I right?

If I buy the 10.7 OS X Lion from Apple store how can I install it? Do I need to make a bootable USB flash drive from my windows 7 PC or I just need to write it to a DVD disk? Sorry for being noob.

Thanks.

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you purchase Lion from the Apple web store, you will receive a validation code that you would use to download Lion from the App Store - which also means that you have to use a Mac running 10.6.8 or newer. You can't download from the App Store on a Windows PC.
    Download on a Mac, which launches when it completes the download. Quit the installer. Use a method to create a bootable installer from that Installer app. Software such as DiskMakerX works very nicely to create the bootable installer on an 8GB flash drive. http://liondiskmaker.com

10. simsaladimbamba

But please do not purchase Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

If you want to purchase Mac OS X, buy OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or download OS X 10.9 Mavericks for free, but then again, in both instances you need access to a Mac, for which a friend or colleague or an Apple Store might come in handy.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Were you holding CMD Opt R or just CMD R? CMD R tells it to boot from the recovery partition which you do not have. CMD OPT R should boot to Internet Recovery and load Mavericks which is a free operating system.

12. Macli thread starter macrumors newbie

Then it won't work for me.

Yes, maybe the best way to ask somebody to make me an install disk.

CMD OPT R doesn't work either.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You probably don't have the latest firmware which enabled that feature. A Genius Bar can reload the OS free of charge for you.