Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alaaqusous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2015
hey guys..

so my hard drive went bust a few days ago and long story short, i formatted it using a windows...

now i have a clean hard disk and i do not have the OS disc..

i could buy a disc but my dvd wont work.

i can only do it through usb..

what can i do

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
i only have access to Windows now :(

You need to state what Mac you are installing on. Macs that originally came with Lion or later don't have install disks and can use Internet Recovery, which will install their original OS version. Macs older than that you would need to get the install disk from Apple and attach an external DVD drive to do the install.

Wiley1

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2018
Virginia, USA
Macs that originally came with Lion or later don't have install disks and can use Internet Recovery, which will install their original OS version. Macs older than that you would need to get the install disk from Apple and attach an external DVD drive to do the install.

My iMac is mid-2010. All attempts to install El Capitan or High Sierra to a blank HD from USB have failed.

What version of OS X was originally installed on this machine?
I have gotten no response from Cmd-R, Cmd-Opt-R, or Cmd-Cntrl-Opt-R.

Would I have better success with an installation DVD?

(yes, I know this thread is three-and-a-half years old. My iMac is eight years old. If anybody has a suggestion, please chime in)

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
My iMac is mid-2010. All attempts to install El Capitan or High Sierra to a blank HD from USB have failed.

What version of OS X was originally installed on this machine?
I have gotten no response from Cmd-R, Cmd-Opt-R, or Cmd-Cntrl-Opt-R.

Would I have better success with an installation DVD?

(yes, I know this thread is three-and-a-half years old. My iMac is eight years old. If anybody has a suggestion, please chime in)

The mid-2010 iMac came with Snow Leopard, so you don't have Internet Recovery. You will have to buy an installation DVD from Apple, although I don't understand why the USB installer didn't work, so you might have other issues.

Wiley1

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2018
Virginia, USA
Thanks for the info. As it turned out, the internal HDD was 60x slower than normal, probably because of a drive cache failure. Details are posted in another thread.

The final solution was to replace the HDD with a $19 factory refurbished unit, then restore a backup from another Mac using CCC. Now I have El Capitan running and Internet recovery can be used in the future.

I was advised NOT to upgrade to High Sierra because this machine has only 4G of RAM. Do you agree? What about "low" Sierra?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Ah, yes, "other issues". High Sierra will make more of a difference with an SSD equipped Mac. The Macs that I have with HDDs I've only upgraded to Sierra. Look at the feature set to decide if it is worth the upgrade (generally it isn't except to run something new enough it gets security updates). The only Mac I backed off from Sierra to El Capitan is a 2GB MacBook Air. 4GB should be fine. A lot depends on what you intend to run.

Wiley1

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2018
Virginia, USA
This particular machine will live in a semi-public Business Center, aka, Cyber Cafe. 90% of the users will just want to Web surf and print, but some will want to compose documents and spreadsheets.

Can you suggest some free enhancements?
Should I install OpenOffice? FireFox? Chrome?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Can you suggest some free enhancements?
Should I install OpenOffice? FireFox? Chrome?
Frankly, Safari will work fine. Chrome is a resource hog and you don't have a lot of memory. OpenOffice (or LibreOffice) are similar to Microsoft Office which most people would be familiar with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.