Need help installing Virtual PC on an iMac G5 PPC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by killswitch1698, Apr 4, 2010.

1. killswitch1698 macrumors regular

Hey all,

As much as I think windows is a huge joke, I want to try to run virtual PC on my mac to play an Mmorpg called "Runes of Magic" (RoM)

Now I tried to download Virtual PC running the .dmg file, but all that popped up was an updater. It said I needed to download the program.

I'm having a huge amount of trouble finding the actual program.

I've got an iMac G5 PPC running on 10.4

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

-Devin

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The actual program can either be bought via Microsoft (maybe not), Amazon, eBay or some other places where one can buy older software.

Also Windows will run slow, very, very slow via Virtual PC, so gaming won't be really feasible.
    With slow I mean: click on START and wait til the coffee gets cold to see the START menu.

3. killswitch1698 thread starter macrumors regular

That slow?? AW LAWDEH! D:

Is there any other technique or program that I can use on my mac?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you want to run x86 code, no.
    PPC Mac use a different architecture than Intel Macs and PCs running Windows (or Linux), thus the x86 code of Windows (and the game) has to be translated via Virtual PC to PPC, thus the slowness.

Maybe invest some money in a game console or even a cheap Windows box or a used PC.

Minimum Requirements
    Operation System: Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Higher, or Windows Vista
    CPU: AMD 2500 + or above INTE Pentium 4 - 2.0GHz
    Memory: 512MB
    Video Card*: Direct X 9 compatible Graphic Card w/128mb Memory Nvidia Geforce FX 5700, **ATi Radeon 9600 (someone confirmed running it at minimum settings on an ATI Radeon 9550 SE)

Intel Integrated Support:
    Chipsets: Intel 915, 945, 946, Q963, G31, Q33, Q35
    Core Models: Intel GMA 950, 3000, X3000, X3100, X3500, X4
    Hard disk space: 4GB
    DirectX:*** 9.0c
    *Integrated Intel GPUs have issues with games. They are designed for economy not performance and cause issues with games. There is a good chance the game wont run on Intel GPUs.
    **The only requirements we could find listed the ATI Radeon 6200 which doesnt actually exist. The 9600 is the equivilant of the GeForce 5700 so we will go with this for now.
    ***This Spec doesn't mean what version of DX you have installed, it means which version your video card Supports, but you still need to install the latest version. I.E: you can have DX10 but your card is only DX9c, DX10 features will not work.

from http://forum.us.runesofmagic.com/showthread.php?t=406

5. killswitch1698 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright :/ Thanks for your help anyway.