Need help installing Windows 10 + Bootcamp help.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mac12345678910, Aug 31, 2015.

1. mac12345678910 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Help with Bootcamp

So I am going to reset Mac OS X completely and after that I'm going to install Windows 10 via bootcamp. But I'm not sure how to do this. I currently have Windows 8.1 installed and since I'm going to reset (and reinstall Mac OS X to its factory settings) I will have to install Windows 8.1 again via Bootcamp and then upgrade.

But will there be any issues with my Windows key that I'll be using on Bootcamp since I already used it? Or is there a way I can deactivate my current Windows 8.1 activation so that I can use it again? I have the disc and everything, and I'm asking because I remember reading about some versions of Windows having keys that can't be activated after one use. I don't think I have that version because I bought mine at retail and it comes with both 32 & 64 bit versions of Windows 8.

Help with Notebook

I'm also upgrading my notebook to Windows 10. I'm currently downloading the update via the desktop's Win 10 icon. My question is, after it's done downloading, will it give me an option to do a clean install? That's how I want to install it; I want to wipe everything completely off the notebook and and start fresh.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unless you downloaded the ISO, then no, it won't (AFAIK) give you an option to do a clean install.

FWIW, the upgrade process is very easy, straightforward and problem free. I've opted for this and I've not run into any issues.

3. Gjwilly, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015

Gjwilly macrumors 68030

But once you've upgraded the notebook to Windows 10, the license for 10 will be linked to that computer.
    After that you can download the ISO and do a clean install without needing the key. You can just skip over all requests for the key and once the install is complete and you've got internet access, Windows will self-activate using you're previous license.

As for Windows 8, deactivating and reactivating depends upon what kind of license you originally had. I think only a retail license has that option.
    Either way, you're simply doing a reinstall onto the exact same computer so you shouldn't have a problem.