Need help installing windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by PBUSER, Aug 30, 2011.

1. PBUSER macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I could really use some help installing windows 7 on my new 2011 Macbook Air. I've been trying to accomplish this using bootcamp and the external super drive and it just doesn't seem to work!

Here is what I have been doing...I start up bootcamp and where it gives the three check boxes I have been unchecking the first because I have the Windows 7 disk. Then I click next and download the windows 7 drivers and burn them to a CD. Then I partition the drive for windows and click next. The computer restarts and opens windows installer. I go through all the steps and windows installs with the final screen of installation being "your desktop is being created." Once the desktop shows up for a few seconds the screen goes to the message "windows is shutting down" then the computer restarts with a black screen and blinking white cursor. Then the screen turns white and goes back to the black screen with blinking white cursor. This keeps repeating until I hold down the option key and boot back into Mac OS.

I have tried removing the partition in bootcamp and starting again about 3 times now and it keeps doing the same thing. What am I doing wrong????

I could really use the expertise of the members on this forum. Please help!!!

2. KPOM macrumors G5

When you are in Windows Setup, make sure you format the partition that you are installing Windows onto. Boot Camp can't do that since OS X cannot write to NTFS partitions natively.

3. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

4. PBUSER thread starter macrumors newbie

KPOM: When I select the Bootcamp partition under the windows installer I have been clicking advanced and clicking format in order to format the drive and continue the windows installation. Should I be formatting it differently?

Bob Coxner: Thanks for the suggestion I'll try posting there as well. Thought my issue might be specific to the new macbook air.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

That worked for me. What I did every time it rebooted, however, was hold down the Option key and then manually select the Windows partition to make sure that it completed the installation. See what answers you get in the Windows on Mac forum.