Need help! iPhone 3GS won't boot after reset

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by loccie, Jun 5, 2010.

1. loccie macrumors newbie

loccie

I had my iPhone 3GS with 3.1.2 firmware and corresponding baseband jailbroken and unlocked using blackra1in and blacksn0w. It was working with T-Mobile SIM just fine. I was going to sell the phone and before selling it went into Settings->General->Reset and asked it to delete all data. The phone now won't boot and it is stuck showing apple logo for 2-3 minutes and then then it shows that rotating busy sign as if it is trying to show down but doesn't actually shot down.

I can put the phone in DFU mode, but since Apple no longer signs 3.1.2 firmware updates, I am unable to restore to 3.1.2. Any ideas what I can do here? If I could get it into Restore mode (when it shows iTunes logo with USB cable), then maybe I could try to jailbreak it from there again using blackra1n.

Please help!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You messed up big.
    You never hit the reset and delete all data unless you know what you're doing.
    Now the iphone will need a restore in order to boot up again.
    You just deleted everything along with the firmware on it.
    And since you cant restore to 3.1.2 you lost your unlock also.
    You can just restore to official 3.1.3 and then if you want you can JB with spirit. No unlock though, thats gone out the window untill a new one is released.

3. loccie thread starter macrumors newbie

loccie

Crap! Is there any way to restore it back to 3.1.2? I jailbroke it and Cydia asked me to save my SHSH keys at some point? I tried that /etc/hosts hack, but iTunes still refused to restore me back to 3.1.2 (original) firmware.

I just sold this iPhone on ebay also, and will have to explain the buyer this situation. This blows....

Why does "Reset All Content and Settings" messes up with the firmware? I don't get this.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It doesn’t have “RESET All Content…” It has “ERASE All Content….”

You need to get the phone in DFU mode. Try, try again, because it’s all you can do.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you edited your hosts to redirect to cydia and still wont let you restore to 3.1.2 then you dont have them stored on Sauriks server.
    There's nothing you can do at this point but explain to the buyer what happened and restore it to 3.1.3. Thats all that can be done at the moment.
    Next time be more carefull and research before you attempt things.

6. loccie thread starter macrumors newbie

loccie

I ended up restoring to 3.1.3 firmware and explaining the buyer what happened. He was cool with that, so I am now have a working iPhone which I hope to still be able to jailbreak and unlock at some point? Does anybody know if there is any unlock in the works for 3.1.3?

Thanks for your responses, AppleJuiced.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, there is supposed to be an unlock after the WWDC (or when OS 4.0 is released).

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, like Aggie said above.
    We should see a new unlock tool shortly after 4.0 is out.

9. iuseraccount macrumors newbie

Easier Fix!

If it isn't working right hold down home button and insert cable from computer and you should be able to do a clean install. Good luck!

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

And the OP is surprised the phone would no longer work.

And yes, I know he actually hit the Erase all content and settings.

Just another amazing thread ! :eek: