iPhone XR Need help: iPhone XR camera vs Xs/max

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AdventurousJosh, Oct 25, 2018.

1. AdventurousJosh macrumors 6502

hey guys, so I’m at still usuing my iPhone 6s Plus and it’s time to upgrade. I like the xr price a lot but I’m worried about missing out on the huge camera tech. Like the bokeh, for both front and back. And how much does having one lens affect shooting the camera? How often do you guys use the 50mm the xr is lacking? If camera is your priority, would you spend the extra money on the other phones for the camera?

Thanks!

Josh

2. KrisLord macrumors 68000

How much storage do you need?

The 128GB XR is a sweet spot on storage vs features. £200 cheaper than an XS (64GB) and £350 cheaper than an XS (256GB)

I’ve had a 7Plus and an X.

I like having the 2nd camera but realistically I rarely use it. I find the times I’d like to use it are when light is a bit low and so the camera defaults to the main camera anyway.

If I was interested in the XR the LED screen would be the main concern and I’d check it out in store before buying. This is mainly as I’ve got used to OLED now.

3. acorntoy, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018

acorntoy macrumors 65816

On the 7+ I rarely used the second camera, however with the improvements on the 8+ and especially the XS Max I’ve found myself capturing some pretty amazing photos of dogs in portrait (not possible on Xr) and some pretty great photos of wildlife using the zoom feature.

The Xr has portrait on the back for humans only, which ironically is what I never use portrait for.

It really depends what you want your phone for, I’m in the mindset that the phone is there to capture memories and events that will likely never happen again, and so I want to make sure they get captured in the absolute best way.

Another thing you need to note: the XS/XS max will show the pictures (especially HDR) with much more detail than the Xr, because the XS series actually has an HDR capable display. Apple even says the Xs/Max show pictures taken Both by the new cameras and ones in the past with 60% more range than the X, the Xr’s range is more comparable to the 8+ which isn’t even as wide as the X, meaning any pictures you take (or your friends) will look a lot better and more accurate on the more expensive models, even if they were originally taken on a Xr and then sent to a xs.

4. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Now do they just look better due to display or is the image actually better?

5. acorntoy macrumors 65816

Display. A really nice LCD could display them correctly as well, but that isn’t apples priority.

6. jagolden macrumors 6502a

jagolden

Not just display. Off load the photos to your desktop and compare side by side in the same photo editing program. X’s Max Photo is superior.

7. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

8. scubatopy, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018

scubatopy macrumors newbie

scubatopy

That's not true.... XR takes nice Portrait mode pics of pets and objects by using Halide app or Focos app. In some light conditions, even better pics than with zoom lens (there's someone on Halide twitter site complaining that there is not a similar opportunity to use Portrait mode on wide lens with X/XS).

9. MacLappy, Dec 14, 2018

MacLappy macrumors 6502

Hi Josh,

Coming from a iPhone 7 plus, I much prefer the way iPhone XR does portrait shots.

1. Able to take portrait shots without having to move forward or backward. On the iPhone 7 plus, always had to move to the exact distance required by the twin camera for it to work. With the XR it’s basically point and shoot.
    2. Able to take useable portrait in low light condition due to the f/1.8 lens.
    3. Able to take wide angle portrait shot. Which results in a very different picture. A better tool for telling a story.

You can take portrait shots of objects and pets using 3rd party app with the XR. As seen below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Much more is debatable. I’ve edited photos on both and other than slightly better blacks on the XS I didn’t see much of a difference. Even with the blacks if you aren’t looking for it you likely won’t notice.

I upgrade my phones 90% for the camera. I went XR over the XS.

I used the zoom about 5% of the time and actually prefer a single lens/single image data.

What you will see from all of them is amazing handling of highlights. The multi-exposure process is really good.

11. agente46, Dec 14, 2018

agente46 macrumors regular

The wide angle lens in the rear and the front lens of the Xr is identical to the max. The image sensor, software and processors are the same. If the images are different, then the price of the max is deceiving you to make it better.

12. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

This is not accurate. In fact, Apple has historically struggled with the ‘blending’ of image data from both lenses being used for single images. I went through more 7+ than I want to admit and went back to the 6S+. The 8+ was better but I prefer one lens. Like others have stated, the wide angle lens on the XS/XSM/XR are all the same.

13. woodynorman macrumors 6502a

I sometimes miss the 2x zoom, but its not a deal killer for me. I love the camera on the XR

14. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

15. phido macrumors newbie

phido

Having gone through a similar decision process, it’s just hard to predict if some features that you have never used is worth the extra money.

All mainstream reviews say the XS is not worth the money. But some that are more photography oriented, say it is.

Can you express the ability to zoom in terms of money? I’d skip a few restaurant meals to buy a better camera that I carry with me every day. I use my phone many hours every day so it’s worth the investment.

How much enjoyment do you get out of taking pictures? I took 400 pictures with my XS on one day.

Would you buy a camera that couldn’t zoom? It’s not necessary but I found it to be very convenient. After using the XS for two weeks, I wouldn’t want to buy another phone that couldn’t zoom.

Looking back it’s easier to say, but if you are afraid that you’ll miss on the new camera functions then just pay the extra money to find out. You don’t know unless you have tried for yourself.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 15, 2018 ---
    You can also use Halide with the XS to take close-up portrait pictures (although it still uses the zoom lens so you don’t get the low-light benefit).

Standard portrait mode requires a minimum distance for it to work
    upload_2018-12-16_9-12-25.jpeg

Halide portrait
    upload_2018-12-16_9-14-5.jpeg

16. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

I literally upgrade my phone annually for the camera. I initially chose XS but switched to to the XR for the display and camera.

Would I buy a camera with no zoom? Yes. The XR as well as my Fuji X-T2, X-E1 with only prime lenses (16mm, 27mm and 35mm).

I have one of my Fuji cameras with me 50% of the time.

17. phido macrumors newbie

phido

I can totally understand that most people don’t need the zoom. I can live without it too but then I can also easily live with an iPhone 6.

The OP doesn’t know if he will use it. I didn’t know whether I’d use the zoom/portrait mode before buying the XS. So I think he simply needs to try (if he can afford it which seems to be the case). When I had to make the same decision I wasted so much energy thinking about something that I didn’t have experience with.

18. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

I think I’m general most people use zoom more than I do.