Need Help - Is Adorama being fair?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by projectone, Oct 20, 2009.

1. projectone macrumors member

They bought my canon elan 7ne camera for $70 dollars. The rep told me that it was marketed for only 100 and he will pay 70%. So i accepted it. But today when I searched for it on their website it is listed for $274 and rated as like new, which it should be because i never used it. So If it is $274 wouldn't i receive (274*.7) $191? Can someone explain this.
    And here is the listing. http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20358466.html

2. projectone thread starter macrumors member

Oh and i forgot. the $70 i got was for an EF 28-105mm f4/5.6 lense.

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

I see several of those on the Adorama site, how you do know that particular one is yours? Not all of them are being sold at the $274.

If you sold your camera outright to them, then they can do what they want. They may get more than the $70 they paid you, but they may also get less (and hence lose money on the deal.) The risk is entirely theirs.

If you had a consignment arrangement with them, then you should get a percentage of whatever price they sell it for. Perhaps you would get less $70, perhaps you would get more. Both you and Adorama would be sharing the risk.

Is it fair, I don't know... But you made the deal.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

So you are saying "never mind, got my facts mixed up"?

The definition of "fair price" is what a willing buyer pays a willing seller. So if you both agreed to the price it is fair.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Ever sell an old DVD or videogame at the trade-in store?

I sold a DVD TV show set for $6 cash, they in turn sell it for $17.99. At the videogame store, I sell a game for $4, they in turn sell it for $11.99.

I sold some lenses to a different place for cash an I got $25 each for it. They in turn sold them for $100.

They have to charge extra for cleaning, inspection, adjustments, and a warranty for the next buyer.

It's more like .25 so 274 x .25 = 68.50, so $70 seems right.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Confused here

Is it just the body or body with a lens?

Though in the end any sale of a used item requires research on your part. Working in the photo retail side of things I can tell you that one man's mint is another man's bargain basement deal.

Not sure what the "real" condition of the item(s) were; but does sound like you might have been low balled. There are sources out there you should have checked; Craig's List, KEH, and even eBay. Not sure if you have any used camera dealers in your area; but did you check them out?

Sadly in the end it is much like selling your 2006 Civic for just $3000 to a local dealer. And them selling it for $10K. They won and you lost.

7. projectone thread starter macrumors member

Honestly,

i have to say, "buying" from them is a really great experience. Items are of superior quality and shipping is pretty decent but not as fast as businesses (newegg) but i cannot complain since it shipped from NY to Las Vegas.

I'll give them credit for that. Maybe it was just a bad rep i was dealing with. :)

8. flakes8 macrumors regular

flakes8