Need Help Jailbreaking and unlocking an old 3G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by XvMMvX, Jul 21, 2010.

1. XvMMvX macrumors newbie

Jul 21, 2010
    Hello Everyone,

Long time listener....First Time Caller.

I just upgraded the rid and iphones to 4s. I have a friend who is on T-Mo and would like to purchase one of the 3g's and use it.

Can somebody give me some guidence on what needs to be done....never had to unlock as I am on AT&T.

What version should I go with...the phones currently have 3.1.3. Can I upgrade him to 4.0 and then jailbreak and unlock?

Also, do i just take his sim out of his current t-mo phone and drop it in my iphone? What about a data plan on t-mo?

Thanks for any guidence on the best course of action.
  2. bytethese macrumors 68030

Jun 20, 2007
    Cranford, NJ
    Since it's a 3G, you should be able to upgrade it to iOS 4.0, use the redsn0w beta from dev team to jailbreak, then install ultrasn0w 0.93 to unlock.

Once ultrasn0w is installed, you insert the T-Mobile SIM and you might need to reboot the phone. As for Data plans, you'd have to check their website for plans that would work for smart phones. :)
  3. narimonk macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Would you get the hell outta here you g*d d*mned spammer!?!?
  4. iphonewoman macrumors member

Jun 16, 2009
    whats with all these newbs answering.. lol

Jailbreak iPHone 3G on 4.0.1

Step 1 : Connect your iPhone 3G to your computer and let iTunes update it to 4.0.1
    Step 2 : Download Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 and the 4.0 firmware located here and save it to your desktop. Now fire Redsn0w up it will have a browse button, click that button.
    Step 3 : Now click on the 4.0 firmware you just downloaded.
    Step 4 : Next Click the checkbox for Cydia and click Next
    Step 5 : Power off your iPhone 3G but leave it plugged in, then click Next
    Step 6 : Put the iPhone into DFU mode, you will know when this happens because redsn0w will start the install.

Now sit back and wait for about 5 minutes your iPhone will then reboot and be jailbroken. You can now unlock.

5. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Aug 1, 2004
    Step 7: Cry as your 3G iPhone slows down and lags all the time. If you have a 3G iPhone instead of a 3GS, do NOT update to 4.01!!! :eek: