Need help jailbreaking/unlocking 3gs with BB 5.16.05

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by katiba, Nov 30, 2011.

1. katiba macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a 3gs with BB 5.16.05 locked to ATT and have NOT jailbroken or unlocked it yet.

I was wondering if it's better to downgrade to the iPad BB (using 5.16.00) or to actually go down to 4.1. I've also read you can use 5.13.04.

I'm not a tecchie so don't know much about which option is best -- but I'll be using my phone in SE Asia where I will need GPS. (Unless I can use GPS through Wifi instead?)

And I'll also be needing to use iCloud, which is only possible on ios5.

Can you please help? I really appreciate it.

Thank you.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Even if you downgrade firmware your bb will not downgrade.
    Only option to unlock it would be installing the ipad baseband.
    If you do that there's a very good chance that you will lose your GPS functionality so you wont be able to use apps like that for navigation cause they wont show your exact position like they should. They might show you off by miles and no Wifi has nothing to do with GPS.
    Also if you decide to go up to 5.0.1 you will have a tethered JB unless you have the old bootrom.
    Use iDetector.exe to check if you have the old or new one. Also research a lot more before you do anything. Questions like yours have been answered a million times before and there's tons of info and step by step tutorials on google and iclarified.com