Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
I'm looking to get an iPhone sometime between now or Christmas.
Currently I have a 3g Razr phone with unlimited everything. I was wondering if I can just plop the SIM card from that phone into the iPhone. I'm assuming you have to unlock to do this, and if that is the case, is that legal?

Secondly, I don't use eBay, but I have a mint 8 GB iPod touch that has been in an iClear case since I opened it on Christmas. I have all the original packaging and want to sell it with the case. Does anyone now how much I can get it for? I'm thinking of asking 200 USD so that when I buy a 250 USD iPhone there will only be a $50 differential. Where can I sell it?

Thanks for reading this noobish post,
ts

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
With whom/how do you have an Unlimited plan? If with at&t, just activate the iPhone to replace your existing RAZR and you can either keep your plan + the iPhone data plan (if you have unlimited data, it will change it from the $50 plan to the $20 plan). Everything else will stay the same. If with T-Mobile, you will have to unlock the iPhone.

Secondly, you could wait until after you reach 100 posts then try selling it in the Marketplace, or try Craigslist or the sales sections of any social network (Myspace/Facebook).

TEG

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
It's with AT&T....

My parents got me the plan in August. I think it's called MediaMax?

Anyway, I think I'm going to try and sell it to one of my friends... $199 sounds awful good, don't you think?

Then I'll just have to go to AT&T and ask for a refurb phone. And since the iPod touch was a gift, it'll be like getting an iPhone for $50 :eek:

Then again, with my luck, they'll stop selling refurbs and I'll be without an iPod.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
It's with AT&T....

My parents got me the plan in August. I think it's called MediaMax?

Anyway, I think I'm going to try and sell it to one of my friends... $199 sounds awful good, don't you think?

Then I'll just have to go to AT&T and ask for a refurb phone. And since the iPod touch was a gift, it'll be like getting an iPhone for $50 :eek:

Then again, with my luck, they'll stop selling refurbs and I'll be without an iPod.

If you think getting a refurb iPhone is as easy as "just asking," you're in for bad news. They pretty much only sell them through the Web site and they were gone about 24 hours after it posted last week. Best to just keep checking AT&T's online store, but this isn't like finding a refurb iMac.

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
If you think getting a refurb iPhone is as easy as "just asking," you're in for bad news. They pretty much only sell them through the Web site and they were gone about 24 hours after it posted last week. Best to just keep checking AT&T's online store, but this isn't like finding a refurb iMac.

Yeah, I pretty much ditched the idea of getting the iPhone refurb anyway. I can't justify, for one, because the new one is coming out very soon (and if it is cheaper, which it just may be, I'll kick myself for buying the old one). And, two, I want to be able to get a real plan as I don't want a bricked iPhone because it is unlocked. Not to mention, I don't think that is legal so I'm not going to try :) .

Anyway, I don't really need one, so whatever.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
This might help...

Yeah, I pretty much ditched the idea of getting the iPhone refurb anyway. I can't justify, for one, because the new one is coming out very soon (and if it is cheaper, which it just may be, I'll kick myself for buying the old one). And, two, I want to be able to get a real plan as I don't want a bricked iPhone because it is unlocked. Not to mention, I don't think that is legal so I'm not going to try :) .

not sure the original posters name: :cool:

Attachments

• ShouldIBuy.php.png
    ShouldIBuy.php.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 255

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008

If the 8GB iPhone drops to $250, I would be uber-shocked. That's how I could justify getting one (plus this thing has been way neater than I thought). I'll use this one for a year or two until the 3G ones get a lot more storage. It would've taken 32GB for it to hold more than my iPod Classic, and that would've probably been $500 later on this year. So far, loving this thing and not missing the extra space as much as I thought I would.

If you're getting new, definitely wait until the next change comes through. Could be a little more storage, could be 3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.