Need help justifying upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alphaod, Feb 18, 2009.

?

What should I do?

Poll closed Feb 25, 2009.
  1. Exchange

66.7%
  2. Upbuy

20.8%
  3. Return

12.5%
  1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Bought a white NVIDIA MacBook. It's is almost perfect. Almost because the lid is crooked, the keyboard sucks really bad, and I opened up the computer and founds this white gel that looks like thermal paste [on everything from the HDD to the memory to under the battery]. This is the second computer like this and that's just silly.

I know I need this second computer, but cannot justify upbuying to the unibody model instead. I don't need 40GB of more HDD (already have 250GB to use), don't care for DDR3 since this isn't my primary computer, and certain don't care for the overhyped unibody. I know the display may be better, and I know the keyboard is better. I use Firewire devices and drives, so I don't know how I'm going to get over losing that.

I like the glass trackpad, but nothing to be jolly over; however I do get the added bonus that I can share adapters and use the curent display of my other computer.

The issue is needing help justifying it, not a matter of cost. Whether or not I can afford it is irrelevent--only whether you think upbuying is justifyable to alleviate these issues; ones that shouldn't present in the first place. However this isn't a "buy because you can afford" scenario, as if such were the case, I wouldn't be asking for help. I also don't want alternatives like netbooks (tried that already).

So what are your thoughts on the this. I put the return in the poll but please explain that choice if you choose it; comments are appreciated.

2. HyperSnake macrumors member

Go to the store and exchange, but before you leave the store, look at the exchanged one and see if it has the same problems. If it has then ask for one without, even if you have to go through their whole stock. If this is the case then upbuy as the unibodies are much more durable.

3. MeatPie macrumors newbie

Well, you already have a unibody MBP so you already have the added benefits of the newer design. I would say exchange it and (if) you bought it at an Apple Store, tell them the situation, and most likely they will make sure you are satisfied with the computer you take home.

Personally, the NVIDIA macbook and the unibody are pretty equal to me in terms of horsepower. The main difference is FW400, and the build. I honestly dislike the white and think the Aluminum is far superior,but if you like the white and it will serve as a secondary computer, try to get one you are satisfied with.

4. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

its very unfortunate to see these minor problems with your new macbook. i do remember how excited you were when you first received it, so i hope the excitement hasnt turned a major 180 for you yet.

i personally would just go ask for a replacement whitebook. it seems as though you really enjoy the whitebook, and dont see where the upgrade would be much more beneficial except of the slightly better screen, and the trackpad...which still couldnt justify over the lack of firewire.

a question for you is, if this is not your primary device, then why is firewire needed? it seems as though you are compairing all the little perks vs. firewire. since it is not your main unit, is firewire that necessary?

ddr3, display, share adapters, share display, glass trackpad...vs. firewire?

but to answer your question with my opinion, i cant see how upgrading to a the unibody would make the contruction of the laptop any better than if you were to just exchange your whitebook for another. they dont promise that you wont have thermal paste coming out of your unibody, or that the keyboard will be any better? sounds like a couple minor manufacture problems, which can happen to any unit. if firewire is a must, and if you like the whitebook (which seemed like you did), then theres no reason to think the unibody would be any better (build wise) than the whitebook.

5. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

That's one of the issues I have; I don't have the heart to go in and exchange through their entire stock; I think the manager already hates me; she gave me this cold look the last time.

Yeah I got it at the store, but I think I've been there too many times and it's certainly getting old.

You right; I put too much weight on Firewire; I actuallly use Firewire 800, so the 400 on this computer is pretty non-essential. However as you stated, the other ones are all perks and the Firewire is actually the only thing that's a real feature. It's not justification of losing Firewire; it losing Firewire and paying more!

They do not promise anything really, but as a consumer, it is expected; I wouldn't pay for a new car leaking oil, misaligned doors, etc.

I do love this computer, but it's on my mind that somehow Apple crippled the computer.

I know I say it's not about the money, but ultimately, that's probably what it's all about. I went from a $600 Mac mini to a $1000 MacBook. If I go anymore it would be twice as much…

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

7. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

you use 800, so the 400 is non essential. in a way...those perks make up more than the 400 than?

also, you are definatly correct. your laptop should be perfect. but what i am trying to point out...

...is that by upbuying, you arent really alleviating the issue. there is always the chance the unibody is going to have the same problems. you are as equal as a percentage to just exchange the whitebook, as you are to getting the unibody. the problems could be there, and they couldnt. the fact that it is a unibody doesnt really change that, does it?

so i would still stand firm and agree that you should get it exchanged. although now that you explained to me that you dont really NEED that 400 port...do those "perks" of the unibody add up to the extra couple hundred?

8. claimed4all macrumors 6502

I would stick with the model you have and maybe think about exchanging it. You could show that Macbook to everybody at the store and they will says its perfect, but since you paid for and you own it you are going to find flaws, the goal is to find as very few flaws as possible. Even if you did upgrade, you would still find flaws in that model just as bad.

9. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Why not return it, then buy a unibody refurbished MB for $1099. I think it's currently the best value of any Mac computer. You already stated you don't use Firewire 400. You have a primary computer that is fully capable. The unibody MB is a much better design and uses newer technology.

You absolutely deserve a "clean" MB.

Best wishes whichever route you go.

10. hodgeheg macrumors regular

Sorry for your bad luck.

A few things...

Personally I think the white macbook screen is preferable to the unibody because I hate the glass. I'm not saying you should agree, but don't presume the unibody to be better just because it's more expensive - I'd try them out if you can.

the unibody keyboard is definitely more sturdy feeling though it's a very similar design and identical layout. I've had white macbooks for a couple years, and got on fine with them apart from creaky plastic (which is actually pretty tough), but having changed to an MBA (very similar keyboard to the unibody MB) there is a significant difference in perceived solidity of the keyboard. So it depends *what* you think sucks about the white macbook keyboard, but that might be worth some extra.

You *really* have no need to feel guilty about exchanging. If it has paste coming out of it it is faulty, end of story (imo). Apple stores will accept returns within 15(?) days even if there is no fault, so they're hardly in a position to claim. You're not asking anything unreasonable - you're asking for what is still an expensive laptop (despite being cheap for an Apple) to not be cr*p! The hinges you might not get to be too picky about (I've seen plenty that are very slightly out after a period of time even when they were perfect new) but some of the other stuff you describe is totally out of order.

I too would, if you like the whitebook, exchange but check it in the store. As long as you're polite and explain you need to check it because you have had such bad luck and you're rather do it in store both for your convenience and also so they can see any problems then and there, there really shouldn't be a problem. I always check machines in store before leaving (but after paying), and it's paid off. Twice I have had dead pixels and they've done a swap then and there.

Best of luck!

11. Colin20 macrumors regular

I agree with Scottsdale on this one.

12. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Since so far almost everyone says exchange, I guess I'll go do that. I'll report back what the result was.

13. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Thanks everyone for your help; I went to the store.

After going through 6 computers, the manager came by and said she would just give me a refund. Most had crooked lids, one had a screw missing, another didn't even boot (? on folder). She admitted that it was unacceptable, it was pretty much a take a refund or buy the unibody one. None of that here's a free upgrade.

I couldn't exactly settle leaving empty handed. So far the computer good. Computer has no issues and I can't complain.

Oh well.

14. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

... I didn't want to read this... I just purchased a white book night before last,
    I think I'll go back to the NEX and open it in front of the apple rep before I decide to keep it...they only get a couple in the store at a time...

15. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

I think the manager got annoyed with me just exchanging it.

16. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...well I'm stationed in Japan on a USN base so the base store only gets about 10 of each type of machine at a time...

You can't get computer items off base as all the Japanese stores say they won't work with US equipment/software.

17. MacVixen macrumors 6502

alphaod

you went ahead and paid more $$ to upgrade to the unibody?
    It's sad - and a little scary - that 6 supposed brand-new laptops in stock all had problems. And the manager's only solution was to offer you a refund? I can't say that I get that at all - I mean couldn't the store have at least ordered a new whitebook for you and then you could have exchanged it upon delivery to the store or something...

18. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well, it sounds like you've already talked yourself into not getting the uni-body. so just exchange this one for another white one, if it fits your needs and you don't need/want that other stuff.

you say it's not your primary computer, but what is your primary?

19. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

wait, so you just got a refund?

also, is that at a apple retail store? or apple reseller?

20. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Ended up paying more for the unibody; I'm actually content now; it's a really nice machine; I can now justify it.

21. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

good. glad you are happy with the purchase. i hope it serves it's purpose well :)

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congrats on the unibody MB, in the circumstances, you've made the correct choice, as it's a really lovely computer and I'm sure you'll be more than happy with it. However, I am shocked at your tale of the six gloriously imperfect white MB computers in the store; such shoddy standards are really unacceptable, and rather disappointing, coming from Apple.

Cheers and good luck

23. MacVixen macrumors 6502

Well congrats!
    Now you just need to update your signature to include the unibody :p

24. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

The new unibody MB's are really nice. My girlfriend got one and at first I wasn't sure how well it would be made but it is really nice. I must admit that the glossy screen doesn't bother me like I thought it would and I did sit by a few windows and on my patio so it is what it is, nice :) I really thought not having FW would be an issue but for her and Time Machine, nope, everything is fine. I really like the size and the weight is good so her iBook is now a just incase backup which is nice to have around.
    I hope you get great use out of your new MB and it is worth the extra money IMO, enjoy :D

25. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah I take this computer to classes and stuff now. No more heavy computer.

My original idea with the polycarbonate MacBook was I would just have a good computer to take around; I wouldn't get a case or cover, nor would I upgrade anything.

Now with this, I need to get at least a neoprene sleeve, a Moshi Palmguard is on it's way and I definitely need more RAM since I'm doing more on this machine now that I'm getting my money's worth. Pretty much I have this computer on 24/7, while I sleep and actually shutdown my other computer.

I have a presentation to make next week and I need to get a miniDP adapter; I know I will more use for said adapter since both of my computers can use it.

So the $300 extra is only like $150 extra since I don't need to buy 2 sets of adapters and such.