Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angle Loss

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Hello all,

(background info)
I haven't quite found the info I need from the search function and was hoping I could get your help. I have a late '08 13" Macbook (when the 13" Pro was just marked "Macbook" only) unibody 2.4 GHz/4GB RAM, and love this computer.

I am doing recording with Logic 9 as well as regular computing. I have run out of hardrive space and need a larger drive...say 500GB. In regards to the third question below, this model has no firewire port, but I do have a Time Capsule backup at home. Many thanks for your help!

(questions)
What specs do I need to have for the hardrive? (connectors, size, etc?)

What drive in the 500GB range is recommended?

What would be the best way to transfer to my new drive?

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Above poster has the correct info for specs. Probably the easiest way to do it is to clone your internal drive to the new one. There are easy ways to do that. You can buy your new internal hard drive and an enclosure like the ones that OWC sells 500GB model here and 750GB model here.

Then download a free trial version of SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner, which will make an exact copy of the old drive onto the new drive. Just make sure before you try to run it, put the new drive in the enclosure, then format it for your Mac in Disk Utility. Then run the application. After doing so, take the new drive out of the enclosure and screw it into your Mac. Then put the old drive in the enclosure and you've got a brand new portable external hard drive.

Nov 28, 2010
located
(questions)
What specs do I need to have for the hardrive? (connectors, size, etc?)

SATA, 2.5", 9mm tall.
Actually it is 12.5 and not 9.5 mm

What drive in the 500GB range is recommended?
Seagate Momentus XT

What would be the best way to transfer to my new drive?
Use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a 1:1 copy.

More information can be found here:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Thanks so much for the help, you guys are quick!

I am still reading through the links, but one quick question...would this be a good selection?

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/YST9500562AS/

I understand that I might lose a little battery life going to a 7200 rpm drive, but I am usually connected to power.

I'm sure that would be just fine. You may be paying slightly more to get they whole kit as opposed to buying each item yourself but the convenience is probably worth it.

Angle Loss

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Just wanted to give an update for anyone who might come across this thread. I installed the Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid drive with the external kit in the link and Carbon Cloner. It took about 3-4 hours to clone about 250GBs on to the new drive. With the links everyone provided here, it was very easy to do.

I have the new drive in my Macbook, and am starting to see faster performance from the drive as it learns my behavior/figures out my most used programs for easy recall. Thanks again for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.