Need help learning Aperture 3

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by HE15MAN, Aug 28, 2010.

1. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

Are there any online guides, tutorials, books etc to teach me how to get better at editing photos in Aperture? I am mainly looking to improve my skills with post processing in raw.

Thanks!

2. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

3. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

I h ave watched all of those videos, but still am struggling. I guess my main question, is how do you know when a photo is done and you should stop editing? Should you just try to get the histogram as even as possible? Or is it solely based on how the entire photo looks?

4. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

speaking for myself - I say a photo is done when you are happy with it (I am sure others have varying opinions) but for me I know what my eye likes.

I think its a personal thing

5. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

Another resource I don't think many people check out is the Aperture manual.

It covers everything in easy to follow steps and explanations and is more set up like a book you might buy in a store about Aperture 3 than a manual. It doesn't just tell you how to do something, but why you should. Examples include how to remove colour casts and why, how much to sharpen and with what settings and workflow suggestions. At 900 pages long it covers everything and it always handy for reference for me. Check it out.

When it comes to editing a photo though, I'm done when I'm happy with it. I do regularly go back and tweak images later on though.

6. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

This is exactly what I was looking for!

7. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

What is the work flow you use in Aperture?

Import, create duplicate, edit duplicate, export to tiff, place in tiff folder, export to jpeg, place in jpeg folder is what I do

8. Salacion macrumors 6502a

You can edit based on the histogram, but eh, just go with your own preference.

When you edit a picture, it's important to know what you want it to look like. You want to give the image a natural feel, a feel that people can't decipher whether it's true to its original form, or whether it's been edited. You never want to set things to intensely, such as contrast and saturation. To edit, is to change the subtle aspects of things.

Why don't you post a couple raw pictures, and we can see where we should edit them, for a generalized idea.

9. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

What should I upload the raw's onto to post them on here?

10. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Hi, should be JPG and you can upload them straight to MR by attaching them to a post or upload them to flickr etc. and link them
    On a side note, I am writing more specialized tutorials for Aperture 3 and you can find them here: http://go-dslr.com/welcome-to-the-apple-aperture-pages

At least so far I have found that the manual only goes so far..
    my 2c.

//F

11. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I suppose, that's the part that you don't learn from books or not from books only. But luckily, if you shoot in RAW and use Aperture, you'll have the security of keeping the original files.

12. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

13. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

14. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

15. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

I'm still going back and forth on what PP software to go with. Any comments on why those of you going with Aperture over PS would be appreciated.

The more I use the trials the less sure of what I want to go with :eek:

16. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

There are tons of threads discussing the pros/cons of Aperture vs. Adobe Lightroom. You should read those. Both apps work in conjunction with PhotoShop (when needed).

17. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

I've read a number of them but I'm not getting any clearer on what to settle in on.

The majority of my work is for web - a few may be printed for display. I'm not into "graphic design" / painting / etc. Making the most of my images vis a vis sharpness / contrast / saturation / minor color correction / cropping - that is about 80% of my need. The Content Aware Fill in PS5 works really well - not sure how many times I would use it though. In many ways I am old school with a lot of time spent up front with composition / light / select background. Less emphasis on PP to correct for issues.

18. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

Then it's time to try some demos/trials. They are free and have full functionality.

19. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Am using them all per my post...

20. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

There is no right answer about whether to use Aperture vs. Lightroom, or make do with PhotoShop + Bridge.

It's really a personal decision and has a lot to do with what you need to do with photos, what you want to accomplish, and how you want your workflow to function. You just need to try them all and decide for yourself. If someone tells you to get one or the other, that will likely be based on their experience and needs, which may or may not match your own.

I used Lightroom 2 in the past, and use Aperture 3 now. I have Photoshop CS5 but don't really know how to use it very well. I do motorsports photography for fun and Aperture fills my needs well enough for the most part.

21. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

No one has mentioned it yet so I'll suggest you calibrate your monitor. No amount of adjusting will help if the monitor is not producing a good image. Worse, you adjustments will be compensating for the monitor and look worse everywhere else.

22. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

+1

I use Spyder3Pro to calibrate my Dell 3008WFP. You can get it for around $150 or so. Spyder3Express can be had for less than $100. I recalibrate every month or so.

23. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Aperture integrates into Mac OS X where Lightroom is a true stand-alone product (other than the integration with CS5).

95% of pro's use Lightroom, the other 5% prefer the ease and integration that Aperture provides. Either way they are only tools and will not automatically make you a better photographer.

24. Chwisch87 macrumors 6502

TBH, If you need help learning Aperture, the best thing to do is uninstall it and go buy a real photo management software called Lightroom 3. :)