Need Help learning C...

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by prmccarron, Aug 22, 2011.

1. prmccarron macrumors regular

prmccarron

Hi,
    I'm interested in programming on the Mac and iPhone so I wanted to learn Objective-C. However, I found this too difficult, so I went with popular recommendation and I'm trying to learn C now. I'm doing pretty well, but there are still some things that are making me trip, and I was wondering if there's anyone out there that'd be willing to help. Not tutor me, but just give me a little help when I have some problems or get confused. Would be super grateful. I'd prefer to talk via email or IRC, although I'm flexible and would be willing to use something else, as I am, admittedly, desperate.
    Thanks SO much to anyone who'd like to help.
    PS - Please, don't reply with stupid/rude/trollerific responses like "Learn it yourself" or "Sure, I'll go out of my way to help a person I don't even know just for the heck of it." I appreciate people willing to help, not sarcastic or rude remarks. Thanks.

***EDIT***
    Just for a little more background, I'd started reading "Programming in C" by Stephen Kochan and got about to chapter 9. Then I started reading "Learn C on the Mac" by Dave Mark. Now I'm starting good ol' K&R, because I've heard it's great.

2. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

I'd be willing to help. Just PM me when you need help.

3. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

Thanks a lot, I will.

4. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

I would be inclined to recommend just posting. We're a helpful lot, and having it public means it can benefit others.

-Lee

5. North Bronson macrumors 6502

The Kochan is an excellent text. What is it about chapter nine that felt difficult to the point of motivating you to try another author?

It's difficult stuff. Don't worry if you have to read or re-read the same chapter multiple times (especially when you come to pointers).

6. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

The reason I stopped reading Steven Kochan's book is because it had a lot of math terms and expressions that were above me (I'm only in eighth grade haha) so I went to Learn C on the Mac. I also started reading K&R because I heard it's excellent, but I'm still mostly sticking with Dave Mark's book.

7. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Well I applaud you for your effort to learn something like that in 8th grade. I know thats definitely not what I was doing haha.

8. larswik macrumors 68000

You sound just like me, but I have have been out of 8th grade for about 30 years now :) I also got stuck on the same Objective - C book and took a step back to the same book you are learning from now. Don't be afraid to write little programs in C so you get the hang of it as you go through each chapter. Towards the end it can get a little tougher but still doable.

After that book there was another book also by apress called "Objective - C for absolute beginners". It's in it's first prints with lots of typos but still a good step to ease into Objective - C.

Keep working at it and post problems here. People are great at answering questions as long as you don't say "Someone write this code for me".

9. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

Haha thanks, yeah it's just something I'm really interested in and would find amazing to have a job doing. Working at Apple or Google would be AMAZING to me lol.

10. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

You're gonna have to learn those math terms eventually. ;)

11. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

Haha actually I'm learning C first /because/ I got stuck on Kochan's Objective-C book. Yeah, I enjoy writing little things like temperature conversions or a calculator just to keep myself into it and practice. Once I learn C I plan on using "Programming in Objective-C" and "Learn Objective-C on the Mac" to learn that. After that, on my list are Java, C++, Ruby, AppleScript, C#, Perl and a few others, mostly C-based.

----------

Yeah, but if I can wait I will. C isn't ALL math haha

12. larswik macrumors 68000

Ha... I start my Java class at City College on Wednesday. Summer I spent learning Objective - C. Last semester it was Pascal so I could get a better grasp on writing code and communicating with people. Last year this time I was reading the same C book you are and before that getting lost in Kochan's book.

There must have been a 9th grader in my city college class learning programming. City College is a great place to learn and they have evening classes. Food for thought.

13. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

It sounds like you're doing the right things. Programming is hard--especially so when you haven't learned some of the math concepts yet. One resource that I found especially helpful when I was trying to learn heap vs. stack memory was the memory chapter from the Masters of the Void tutorial. The explanations are animated, and helped the concepts really sink in for me.

14. iHutch105 macrumors member

True, but the two subject intersect quite a bit. My advice is don't shy away from the maths. It can be daunting, but approach it with confidence.

15. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

I have heavily considered this and plan on doing so next summer, and possibly during the school year as a junior/senior.

----------

Cool, I'll be sure to check it out, thanks!

16. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

K&R for C is what I used; very nice at that time; around 28 years ago

Later C++ I read the book from Bjarne Stroustrup; around 25 years ago

Objective C with a book written in German from Amin NegmAwad, around 2yers ago

17. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

How do C and maths intersect? (Unless you mean ℂ ;))

18. iHutch105, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

iHutch105 macrumors member

Ha, nice.

I mean generally, programming arithmetic is a lot like algebra. It pays to know stuff like operator precedence and general arithmetic practice.

If you mean something in specific, if you get into, say, game development, you have a lot more concepts involved, such as coordinate geometry, vectors, trig, matrices (usually if it's 3D) and physics calcs often containing differentiation and integration.

Edit - I should note - I know a lot of the concepts listed there aren't particular specific to the OP, but they are relevant in my advice of "don't be afraid of maths".

19. saberahul macrumors 68040

This was my starting point. It isn't the best english but I found it very helpful. There is also a much better free online book called Learn C in 24 hours. I would recommend learning this and then this.