Need help looking for a new HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sdlyr8, Jun 20, 2009.

1. sdlyr8 macrumors newbie

I'm new to dealing with hardware. I've got a 2-3 year old MBP (the silver 2GHz one). I've heard that it doesn't matter the kind of hard drive I get, that as long as it's a 2.5 inch, that it will fit. My question is, is this true? And second, what would everyone recommend?

I was looking at this list here, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ESTMATCH&Description=seagate+Momentus&x=0&y=0 Would any of these work?

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Yeah, you're looking in the right place. I'd go for the Seagate 7200 500GB. Not bad for $129.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You want to look for one that has a Serial ATA (SATA). The Seagate Momentus should work but be aware that it's a hit/miss if you get a noisy/vibrating drive. A few of us on the forums had and opted for the Western Digital 500GB Scorpio Blue HDD instead. It's cheaper and performs as good for a lower price tag.

4. sdlyr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Appreciate it. And yeah, I was eyeballing that one

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

This might help as well: Tom's Hardware reviews 7 500GB laptop hard drives.

It says that Seagate drive is the fastest currently available, but consumes more power as well, so you may need to decide between speed with that one or longer battery life with a 5400 RPM drive.