Need help looking for host...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ghostchild, Sep 25, 2008.

1. ghostchild macrumors 6502

ghostchild

I'm currently using dreamhost, its cheap and it provides me with a lot of server space/bandwidth, mySQL, a free domain name for around $50 a year. However, dreamhst sucks with communication, upload speeds when I am out of the US really really sucks (I travel a lot), sometimes its not really reliable. Worse of all the cpanel really really realllllyyyy sucks...

Is there any other webhost out there that can best dreamhost for a max budget $50?

Thanks,
    John

2. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Most people (me included) seem to really love A Small Orange. Check out their "Tiny" or "Small" packages for your price range. :)

3. ghostchild thread starter macrumors 6502

ghostchild

4. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Yup, consider this another recommendation for A Small Orange.

5. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

6. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

I just want to comment the OP mentioned slow upload speeds when traveling outside the US, which is really bandwidth issues related to the ISP they happened to be connected to at the time. Most WIFI, dialup and other forms of connections through hotels are often very slow here and abroad due to cost savings with shared bandwidth, especially on the upstream. It saves money, for example, for ISP's in the commercial realm to sell asynchronous DSL (popular abroad) where downstream is not matched to upstream rates.

Now I realize the OP mentioned other objectional things as well, so I agree they should switch, of course.

-jim

7. MacSociology macrumors regular

Site5: Don't use them. They are a serious overseller and the service have gotten worse. I used to be a client, had a small personal site on the account, and at the end the server was so slow that it took 10-15 sec to load the page. The server had a tendency to be overloaded, and this resultet in me loosing connection with the website.

The company is under new management, but until I hear something that will make me reconsider them, I would just forget about them.

They used to be great company, but they are not anymore. Not after they startet those rediculous deals.

(I also paid for an upgrade of the account, but it remained on the same slow server. So this was a waste of money.)

About the post made by Reticon. A user that joined yesterday, written two posts which both recommends the same webhoster? Forget the company the user recommends as it's most probably just spam.

If you would like to find some good hosts then I would go to www.webhostingtalk.com. You will be able to find reviews, ask the experts, and find some good deals in the offer section.

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Especially when the post awakens a sleeping thread. Always a clue of a hoser. We seem to get these a couple times a week. I usually request them to be deleted if they're too far off topic.

9. werther macrumors regular

10. MacSociology macrumors regular

Angelwatt: That's why I reported him. This is also why I enjoy webhostingtalk.com so much. They have pretty good mods removing these posts.

11. ionlygreat macrumors member

I use Dreamhost, and was generally happy...but after what you've said about it, I might have to consider changing...hmm