Need Help Making a Decision

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TaterToT, Sep 16, 2009.

  1. TaterToT macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2009
    Location:
    OK
    #1
    So recently I decided I wanted to get a Macbook for school and general use. I decided I wanted the 13" Macbook pro the lowest version and was gonna get it refurbished since I'm a college student and want to save money. Well I was going to order it tomorrow, but I checked the refurb store today and for some reason they are sold out of the one I wanted (that's been there for the last week...). So I checked out craigslist and found an older Macbook "aluminum" I guess they're called and the guy says it's pretty much the same as the Macbook pro. The specs are

    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz Processor
    3 MB L2 Cache, 1066 MHz Bus Speed
    2048 MB DDR3 (2x1GB, PC3-8500) RAM Max: 4 GB
    250 GB SATA (5400 RPM) Hard Drive
    13.3" Glossy (1280 x 800) LED Backlit Widescreen Display
    Built-in iSight Camera and internal Omnidirectional microphone
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M with 256MB Shared Video Memory
    8x Slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi Wireless (802.11a/b/g/n)
    Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
    10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet
    Ports: 2 x USB 2.0, Digital/Analog Line In; Digital/Analog Line Out, Mini DisplayPort, RJ-45, MagSafe Power Port
    Unit Dimensions: 12.78" (W) x 0.95" (H) x 8.94" (D)
    Unit Weight: 4.5 Pound

    He is selling it for $1000 and the refurb I wanted is $1086 with tax and shipping. The question is, would it be a good decision to buy the one off craigslist (says he has everything it came with and has 1 year warrenty still) or should I just wait til the Macbook pro 13" shows back up on the refurb store? Is the one off craigslist just as good or better? Thanks.
     
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
  3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

    MacMini2009

    Joined:
    May 22, 2009
    Location:
    California
    #3
    I would just wait until the 13in Macbook Pro comes back in stock in the refurb store.
     
  4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

    Bill Gates

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #4
    Seconded. Don't settle; wait for what you really want. That way you will have a full 1-year warranty and a newer system with a better battery, FireWire, etc..
     
  5. TaterToT thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2009
    Location:
    OK
    #5
    Alright, I guess that's what I'll do.. just sucks because I was really excited to finally order one tomorrow...
     
  6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

    Bill Gates

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #6
    When it comes to refurbs you have to jump on them. The next time you see the model you want order it straight away.
     
  7. TaterToT thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2009
    Location:
    OK
    #7
    Well I would of but I wouldn't of had any more money for gas and food and stuff so that wouldn't of been a good decision
     
  8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #8
    Get the 2.0 GHz Unibody then.
     
  9. TaterToT thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2009
    Location:
    OK
    #9
    Nah I have the money now, the one I want just isn't in stock.
     
  10. RKO macrumors 6502

    RKO

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2008
    #10
    Keep saving and if you can hold off, wait for the next wave of refurbs and maybe something better. Unless it's urgent that you get one now and then do what you have to do and buy with the other option. :D
     
  11. TaterToT thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2009
    Location:
    OK
    #11
    Any idea when they might add a new stock of refurbs to the store?
     
  12. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

    MacMini2009

    Joined:
    May 22, 2009
    Location:
    California
    #12
    Any time really, just check daily or even hourly.
     
  13. RKO macrumors 6502

    RKO

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2008
    #13
    Try calling 1-800-MY-APPLE and ask them.
     

Share This Page